Wednesday, April 28, 2010

3 days left

(Because every post needs a picture. Brady family, Christmas 2009)

Almost 2 years ago a friend of mine was due to have her baby (Lindsey) and she decided to post every day until the baby arrived so that if she didn't post, we would all know that something was happening and she was probably in labor or already had the baby.
So I think that is what I will do. Not much else to do these days, since this week my days have been spent...
1.exhausted on the couch from not being able to sleep at night
2. thinking about leaving the house and having some fun, but the thought of doing so with Alex makes me even more exhausted
3.trying not to obsess about labor, bringing a baby home, ppd, and just exactly life will be like once she comes out of me
4. constantly cleaning the house so when labor does happen, I can return home to a clean house

My visiting teacher lent me a book called "HypnoBirthing: A celebration of life", it keeps referring to another book called "Childbirth without fear". So far from what i've read in Hypnobirthing, i'm sold. I wish I would have read both of these 9 months ago. I've got Childbirth without fear on hold at the library (in the off chance I don't go into labor for the next 3 days), and I really hope it gets returned in time.
Basically they ask, why does labor (a perfectly natural and normal thing) hurt? Oh, because we are told it will and we are afraid of it. So we go into this 'fear- tension- pain' cycle which sends us into the fight or flight response, which obviously you can't do in labor and so all the body's helpful chemicals misguidedly get sent away from where they are needed most.
I don't know if I will be able to master all the great techniques the book gives for calming yourself and breathing, relaxing and not worrying before Labor day, but reading it has seriously calmed me down SO much and given me this whole new empowered outlook that HECK Yeah I CAN do this, why wouldn't I be able to, why should it hurt?
I'm sure all of you who have actually experience labor are rolling your eyes thinking "just you wait until it starts dear, you will be singing a different tune". This is probably true, but I sincerely believe in the whole mind over matter thing, and that this is what my body was meant to do. I was talking with my grandmother a few days ago and mentioned my fear of, yet commitment to a natural, drug free birth. I was amazed by the stark contrast between her generations feelings against drug assisted birth... "Why would you possibly want to do that to the baby", and my generations feelings toward natural childbirth of "Why would you possibly want to do that to your body?!" I guess time will tell how resolute I really am, but I hope and pray that I really can do this.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I am glad you are following suit so we all know when it happens. Best of luck!

Gwen Crockett said...

I like how every time I check your blog, you have a new post. :-)

Brianna said...

I know people who have given birth with only hypnosis and have felt no pain. Go Kristen!

Tyson & Rebecca Sloan (Mr. Incredible & his sweetheart) said...

Hypno birthing, huh? More power to you! I have to agree with you on several levels (and possibly disagree on one level) (This is all from observations in L&D) The fear/tension = increasing pain is real. Labor is Uncomfortable and it is how you manage and deal with that discomfort that matters. Mind over matter all the way is very powerful. To tell yourself there will be no pain is unrealistic, but to use the power of the mind to minimize the discomfort you feel can be real. Whatever you end up doing know we are cheering you on!!! I know how strong you are and I am sure you can do anything you put your mind to!!! love you lots. Here's to the 'race' of getting our babies OUT!!!! Please let it be soon!

Molly and Jay said...

Good luck Kristen! I did hypno-birthing (classes and all). It still hurt for me, but it was worth it! Hope your labor and delivery go great!