Thursday, May 20, 2010

Freezer Jam


(This is where I found Alex after I turned by back today. We have given up on trying to keep Alex out of Heidi's things. So far the only thing we have even been moderately successful with is keeping her out of the bassinet, although not for lack of her trying, mostly because it is to tall.)

Yesterday at the store I saw Strawberries were on sale. 98 cents a pound. The day before we had run out of the last batch of homemade jam, and so I pounced.

When I married Tyler, I was introduced to the beauty and wonder of homemade freezer jam. Once you experience Susan's jam, you just can't go back to the store bought kind. A few months ago at a relief society activity I discovered a slightly different recipe for this freezer jam that only required 1.5 cups of sugar. It was so deliciously fruity, I was hooked.
While unloading the groceries Tyler commented that I had either started an all strawberry diet, or I was up to something. I guess 8 pounds of strawberries is a lot.
This morning I decided that the girls and I would bond while we made our preserves. The cuteness I had imagined lasted about 5 minutes. Thats about when Heidi dozed off, and Alex stopped being content as a strawberry thief.
She was a great helper. In fact when I asked, nay, insisted she go play with her cars, she refused. She wasn't going to leave me alone with so much work to do.
The delicious jam got made. Thanks to Alex the walls, the carpet, the table, and even Heidi I later discovered got jam on them. It was fun. A tad bit stressful, but fun. I think I'll do the next batch alone.
(This is how I found Heidi after I got off the phone with Tyler. It's nice how well the girls play together.)

1 comment:

BKO Illguth said...

I have been sitting here for the past 30 minutes trying to catch up on the new baby. I can't believe that it has already been 2 weeks since I have checked it. Last I heard, you were still trying to get Heidi out.
I'm so glad to hear that things are going good for you! Interesting labor story. I have heard so many different ones that I am interested in seeing how mine turns out. Heidi is a doll! She looks like her name. And what a precious big sister Alex is. Hopefully I can see your cute fam when I am up there in a couple of weeks. Love your guts and send lots of hugs!