Monday, May 24, 2010

A road trip and a wedding


My memories of the weeks following Alex's delivery pretty much consist of me laying in bed watching entire seasons of Dr. Quinn daily. I don't think I saw the sun for a month, or did anything remotely fun for about 3. Part of this was due to c-section recovery, and part of this was because we lived in a terrible dark basement, It was cold March, and I really didn't have any friends to hang out with.

The weeks following Heidi's recovery have been awesome!!! Part of this is due to being able to have a natural delivery, and part of this is due to the fact that I realized life doesn't need to stop once new baby arrives.

This weekend Tyler was going to Boise to Test for their Fire department, and it happened to be at the same time as my beautiful cousin Julia's wedding. So at the last minute, (after wresting with whether to be prudent and stay home alone with the kids, or try out Heidi on her first road trip at 2.5 weeks old) I decided to be brave, grab both kids and go along! I probably wouldn't have gone, but my fantastic brother and his wife decided to come along as well and help me out with the kiddos while Tyler was testing.
The drive to Boise on Friday was great! We ended up leaving later in the morning, and had to stop every 2-3 hours for Heidi, but other than a few tantrums on Alex's part, it went quite well. We arrived at my Aunt and Uncle's house after about 9 hours of driving (instead of the estimated 6) and had a great time eating food, talking to family and swimming in their wonderful swimming pool. Their property is situated on a hot spring and so their outdoor pool is about the temperature of a mild hot tub, which is just about perfect. Alex and Tyler LOVED it!!!! (check it out......www.roystonehotsprings.com)
Saturday Tyler left early to test and didn't end up joining us until that evening. The girls and I got to spend the whole day hanging out with my super fun cousins, some of whom I haven't seen in 10 years! I had a wonderful time catching up with everyone and was so glad we ended up going. Alex was thrilled with the fact that their cat had just had a litter of kittens, and so she spent most of the day trying to get someone to take her outside, or bring a kitten inside. Of course she picked the two busiest people to cling onto, the bride, and the mother of the bride, and was hardly content with anyone else until Michael and Danielle showed up and saved the day. Michael was a pro with Heidi, carrying her around everywhere and was even able to quiet the screaming little girl while I got ready for the wedding. Danielle was like Alex's second mom, following her around, feeding her, teaching, and playing with her. If you can't tell, I am so grateful they showed up and thankful they are always willing to come play with us and visit.
The wedding was beautiful and I loved the decorations. I can't even describe it, but it was just beautiful. I remembered to take my camera, but didn't check the battery until we arrived, only to find it was dead. Fortunately there were lots of lovely people with cameras who I hope will send me some pictures (Camille, wink, wink).
After the wedding we went back to the house and hung out late into the night. I have such a great family, they are so fun and hilarious. I just can't say enough wonderful things about them all. It was just what I needed, to get together and reconnect with everyone.
The grandness of the weekend was just bright enough of overshadow the horror of driving home on Sunday. Alex would not be content with anything, Heidi cried the last hour home, I had a head ache and Tyler was exhausted (from graciously taking late night Heidi duty AND early morning Heidi and Alex duty. I know, I'm a terrible person to make him do both). But we made it, and we would, and will, do it again. We were planning on taking a detour to see Craters of the Moon National Park, but decided at the last minute to wait until we had a backpack and could hike around with Heidi. Thank goodness we decided not to add 3 hours to our journey, I don't know if everyone would have made it back alive.


2 comments:

Gwen Crockett said...

Sounds like fun. How did Tyler's test go? Would you have to move to Boise?

Raggles said...

I'm glad you had a great time! I do much more things with Radley than I did with Hayden too. I'm awfully scared of road trips with the chillins...sometimes hayden is great and other times...let's not talk about those ;) Can't wait to see you and to meet this teenage Heidi!