Wednesday, April 8, 2009

A post about the baby, to mothers of babies, asking for advice

Alex has grown into a teenager overnight. Today while I was trying to make bread and egg shaped rice crispy treats in the kitchen, she purposefully disobeyed me about 30 times in a row. She knows what 'NO' means, and it usually stops her. But today she figured out that when mom's hands are covered with melted marshmallows or bread dough, she can get away with things.
My dear friends Brianna and Brittany came out to visit today and it was so good talking to them. I had forgotten how much of a 'pick me up' girlfriends can be and have decided I need to try harder to get out more.
Last of all, Alex had her 1 year check up today. I was actually quite suprised by the news we got. I decided that I wasn't going to pay attention to, or care about the percentiles. I figure in this day and age being abnormal is usually better. Well, Alex is in the 80th percentile for weight and the 20th for height!!! I guess seeing how alll her relatives are tall or really tall, and seeing how she is such a stubborn picky eater I figured those percents would by switched. I'm not very worried, but I have decided to we need help......
Alex will not let me feed her anything, and of the items placed on her tray, the only ones that end up in her mouth instead of on the floor, are carrots, cheese, cereal and meat. Any ideas?! She won't eat unless she is feeding herself, and even then she would rather make a mess of it. The kid needs fruits and veggies but I can't figure out how to trick her into eating them without having to scrub the floor after every meal. I'm torn between trying to train her to stay sitting in her chair by only feeding her in the chair (hoping she will realize that the chair means food and if she leaves it, she goes hungry), and trying to shove anything I can in her mouth whenever and wherever I can.

6 comments:

natalie brady said...

When Nicholas was her age the only thing he would eat was yogurt, oatmeal, and baby food, and he refused to feed himself, something he still struggles with...He is 4 years old and will say "Mommy, you do it". It drives me nuts! His doctor said the eating thing wasn't a problem, most 1 year olds go through it. The good news is that they only need like 500 calories a day, and she said that they go through spurts of not eating anything, to everything. I found forcing food in, while it sounds terrible, was the only way to get Christian to eat anything. I had to force it in, hold his mouth shut while he screamed and then after a few minutes of tasting it, he would realize that it was actually good, and then he would eat it fine. Every kid is different. You just have to find what works for you. We found that Nicholas would eat if he had toys to play with while he did it. Good luck!

natalie spratling said...

When the girls were little I gave them what ever they could feed themselves. frozen peas and corn that I would just heat up. scrambled eggs, cheerios, I can't remember everything but if I could make it bite size it went on their tray. This is a hard stage because they want to try and do things even if they are not ready. Oh Alex is so sweet. Just know that with time you'll figure it out likes, dislikes and then when you have it all figured out she'll change her mind:) good luck:)

TJ and Stephanie said...

Oh the joys of independent toddlers! I know EXACTLY what you are going through! Toby loves to feed herself as well, which usually means a big mess! I buy the small yoplait yogurts for kids because they tend to be a little thicker so it stays on her spoon A LOT better than other yogurts so that is a good food for her to learn how to work the spoon. Sliced bananas, small cups of peaches and mandarin oranges are a hit as well. It took many frusterating meal times to learn when she is hungary she will eat, if she is not she won't... Good Luck! See you soon!!! :)

natalie spratling said...

kristen, in response to taking pictures I would love to anytime hey I have some fun pictures of your hubby and Alex when we burned the branches i'll elmail them to you - it will be in two weeks. I am heading out of town the next two weekends but I will get them to you.

Raggles said...

Dude, I sure wish I had more advise for that one, because that is where we are too...it is so hard knowing what to feed Hayden and getting him to eat it is even more tough!

Aaron and Megan said...

It is a struggle to get them to eat. I was told Molly was malnurished but I have learned to not force feed her and when she is hungry she will eat, and if I try to feed her something and she won't eat it I have found if I try again in a few days she will. It is always a guessing game and you always feel so accomplished when they actually eat. Try making green smoothies, it is a good way to get veggies in without them knowing.