Saturday, February 21, 2009

There is no 'ctrl' button on Chuck Norris's computer. Chuck Norris is always in control.

About 2 weeks ago Tyler and I were asked to house/babysit for a family in our ward. I was not very keen on the idea of watching 4 kids (ages 2,6,10 and 13), plus Alex for 2 days, but Tyler thought it would be fun. So we agreed. The house we were staying in was probably the biggest I'd ever set foot in, 3 stories, theatre room, gym, huge kitchen, a master bathroom that is probably twice the size of the room we are living in (and its a big room). The kids weren't so bad either. Over all it was a great learning experience and money making venture, but would we do it again? I don't think so. The 2 year old would only communicate by the most minuscule head shakes and by saying "I want mommy". When she would cry, she was inconsolable until the 13 year old appeared, so that was a bit frazzling. Alex LOVED her and followed her everywhere. Unfortunately the 2 year old HATED her and would push her over and take toys away. Luckily Alex was oblivious to anything other than the attention she was getting and didn't seem to mind. The 6 year old was just darling and the only problem with her was that she could not concentrate on any task for more than 30 seconds. This was very hard when I was trying to get her to find her shoes and it took about 15 minutes of us both walking through the house together. The 10 year old was, difficult. I'm not even going to go there. The 13 year old was very helpful, but with quite an attitude. Looking back, there were no huge catastrophes or really anything overly eventful, but it was completely emotionally and physically draining! I will never complain about the trials of having 1 child again, and I am glad kids grow up slowly because I am not at all ready for Alex to be any older than she is.

2 comments:

Molly and Jay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Molly and Jay said...

I totally agree. We watched a six kids while their parents went to Europe for 10 days. We won't be doing that again! (Jamison thought it was fine, but he was at work all day!). I have never appreciated my mother more than when I was watching all those kids!
The money was pretty good though...