I'm a pretty skeptical mom. At the same time, I am still a first time Mom, so I've been having issues on what to be skeptical about.
I let Alex put leaves in her mouth, and pet the cat. I've caught her eating dirt a few times and probably didn't freak out as much as I should have. I feed her Cheerios straight off the floor for breakfast (they end up there anyway, and this way I don't go through the 'baby escape artist out of the high chair screaming' routine).
I guess I figure that millions of children have not just 'survived', but lived happy lives before things like 'antibacterial' soaps, spray's and wipes were invented. I have also been reading some of Tyler's science books that talk about how children raised on farms, or in houses with pets, are less likely to develop allergies later in life. It turns out that if you are exposed little by little to things like germs and dirt, then your body builds up an immunity.
So, when it comes to honey and peanut butter I've heard nothing but the extreme NO! since day one. Everything you read says "DO NOT GIVE YOUR CHILD PEANUT PRODUCTS BEFORE THEY ARE 1!" Well, a scientific journal printed a study (done by a Harvard doctor and social scientist Nicholas Christakis in the British Medical Journal) came out with a report in January that pretty much says..........
"Children who are not exposed to peanuts before their first birthday are 10 times more likely to develop serious peanut related allergies later in life." It is strange how peanut allergies are only an issue in rich, lefty communities. My favorite part was....
A study of Jews of similar demographics and genetics in Britain and Israel found that British kids were 10 times more likely to have peanut allergies than Israelis. That's probably because Israeli kids have other things to be afraid of.
So there you have it. Take it for what you will. As for me and my house, we will eat peanut butter.
3 comments:
Ha Ha! That is so funny....I read that same article just the other day. It made me feel better because Jordan eats Peanut Butter like CRAZY!!! He loves it! I feel the same way Kristen! WE'RE ON BOARD...BRING ON THE PEANUT BUTTER!
We will be eating peanut butter right there with ya!
Sam gave Nicholas a bite of his peanut butter and honey sandwich when he was only 9 months old. Of course I freaked out, but nothing happened, and he's not allergic to it now, so it must not be too bad.
Post a Comment