Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Firefighting

I suppose I should explain my actions so that there will be no misunderstandings. I love my family very much! I am not trying to escape from them in any way, shape or form. The truth of the matter is I love fire. Wildland firefighting is filled with pros and cons. The most significant con is the entire state of Nevada. Who cares anyway? Nothing is worse than running all over a miserable dessert trying to save juniper trees and sage brush. It’s just not worth it. Among the pros are clear skied Idaho nights, lying under the stars after a hard days work. The work itself is rather hard and unglamorous. We work 16 hour shifts digging fire lines as far as the eye can see. In wildfire there is just no way to bring enough water to the fire to extinguish it in such a way. Instead we remove the forest from the fire. We cut down trees and dig up grasses and roots until there is a swath of mineral soil surrounding the fire. When it burns to the cleared line the fire dies down and goes out. At least that is the theory, though it gets much more complicated than that. So essentially, my job is to swing a tool for 16 hours a day with 40 to 50 pounds on my back. It does not sound that fun, believe me I know, but there is a strange appeal to such work. It brings satisfaction, not to mention a good paycheck. Besides, who doesnt think that camping for 6 months in some of the most beatiful vistas eye has ever seen is the greatest blessing on earth?

No comments: