Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Developmental dysplasia of the hip

I guess life’s latest lesson is that bad things happen to little people. Of course I have always understood and accepted this, but I never expected to face it in my own family. With the plethora of diseases, disfigurations, syndromes, injuries and all the others that can befall our young ones, I suppose I should be grateful. Nonetheless, it is not easy to see the bright side of things when one so small and innocent is involved.

We still don’t have all of the details. We are expecting a referral from our pediatrician to see an orthopedic surgeon at primary children’s hospital. This is what we do know: Alexandria has bilateral hip dislocations accompanying her underdeveloped hip sockets. Best case scenario the dislocations will be reduced and she will wear a harness that holds her hips in a flexed position while they continue to develop. This could take anywhere from 1-6 months. Worst case scenario she will need a body cast for the present and face possible hip replacement surgery in her adolescent years.

We hope and pray for the best and ask for your prayers and faith also. Hopefully, when we finally get all of our questions answered, the problem will not be as severe as presently anticipated.

No comments: