Friday, July 6, 2012

Cousins

In June we got to see our long lost Sister in law Natalie and her boys.  They moved out East for school before Tyler and I were even married and if we are lucky we get to see them once a year!
They got to stay with us at Grandma and Grandpa's house for 2 weeks and Alex and Heidi were in HEAVEN!
We made sure to have some adventures- and I think the little cousins LOVED visiting the Thanksgiving point dinosaur museum with the big cousins and Grandma and Grandpa.
Every morning when the girls would wake up all the kids would gather in the corner behind Grandpa's chair and play together.
Alex followed Nicholas everywhere, and Heidi was Christian's shadow.
Archie loved having some boys to play with for once- and Alex was a bit taken aback at how roughly boys "play" with each other.
But those boys have been raised right because they were sooooooo polite to my girls. Helping them unset their dishes and letting them take their turn first.  I was very impressed.
We happened to be at Thanksgiving point on a Monday afternoon and got to participate in the fun FHE activities they had set up!
That week Kate raced in a triathlon that ran right by our old houses!  We got the whole gang to show up and support her- although we decided next time we would make an alternate sign to hold up for the hundreds of not-kates that rode past.
She did great!
But the most impressive part was that afterwards she still had energy to be a mom, go to a birthday party and then throw one!
Our little Annie turned one on the same day we were celebrating Nicholas turning 8 (a few weeks early).
Nicholas's birthday was the COOLEST party I've EVER been to.
It was Star Wars themed and Natalie went all out!
This birthday put 1/2 the ones you see on pinterest to shame.
There were green Yoda cookies, "Hoth" dogs, green and blue snow cones, popcorn, and 2 giant blow up activity things.
And she even made light sabers for all the kids!
This one is for you Ben.
After a half dozen runs through the blow up obstacle course, a jammed neck and some nasty rubber burns, I decided that perhaps I was indeed to big to play in it.
I'm choosing not to think about August when Ben and Kate move to Arizona.
The girls are going to miss their other mother......
and their siblings, I mean cousins.
Even though she is the smallest of all the cousins, Annie steals the show!
She was very gracious at sharing her birthday (toys, cake, and attention) with the other kids.
Heidi learned from watching the big cousins how to wrestle like a champ. And has been practicing her technique on Archie mostly, but from time to time she will take Alex down.
We celebrated with a big Paella, bread, cheese, olives and Brazillian limeade.
Then Annie got to dig in to her cake
If she hadn't been tired, and if the other kids hadn't crowded her out- "Why does Annie get the WHOLE cake? Can't she share? I want some!" she probably would have painted the kitchen pink and brown.
We love Annie because she is 50% sweet as can be, melt your heart, happy little nymph.  And 50% stubborn mule.  I think she rivals all the other kids combined when it comes to her strong will.
Unfortunately all good things come to an end and Natalie and the boys had to leave.  The house suddenly became too quiet.  They are gone but far from forgotten as the girls talk about them daily and all the adventures that were had together.

No comments: