When I was a kid we used to have family reunions at a camp up in the mountains of Wyoming near Lyman.
I remember there was the family brand, a smiling A, nailed into the ceiling beams. The Lodge was big and fun to run around in, and the cabins had bunk beds and mice. Sometimes there were horse rides, we would play horseshoes or just go exploring. There was a giant swingset and I remember one of my aunts pushed me so high I slipped out the back of the swing and landed flat on my back on the ground. There were games, contests and volley ball. It was a wonderful place.
But the best part of this particular camp, was the tire swing. Right in front of the lodge there were two tall straight pines growing side by side, reaching all the way to heaven.
Tied between them was a big old tire that had been cut and hung from chains so perfectly that you could cuddle up right in side them and with one big push you could swing forever.
I have many fond memories of that camp, and that swing. I've been dying to replicate it for quite awhile now and finally, with Tyler's help, we got pretty close.
There is a real trick to finding the perfect tire for a good tire swing.
We discovered that it needed to be big enough so you arn't curled in half trying to sit in it. And wide enough so that your hips can fit.
The sides have to be high enough so you don't feel like you are going to tip out midswing.
And you have to find a husband that loves you enough to cut through two tires and string up two separate ropes in a tree, to make your dream come true.
In the end we decided that there might not be a tire big or perfect enough to fit this grown woman. Especially if it's being compared to a tire, ridden 16 years ago and idolized in the mind of a 10 year old on summer vacation.
But maybe this can be the perfect tire swing for them.


1 comment:
That was definitely the best part about family reunions. Who would have thought I'd be living there now! Come down and swing anytime.
Post a Comment