Friday, April 29, 2011

Easter


I remember, in great detail, an Easter spent at my grandparent's house in Worland, Wyoming. We woke up to find that in our baskets, the Easter Bunny had left juice boxes, grapes and strawberries. However, in our cousins, the Liggetts, easter baskets there was chocolate, gum and all sorts of fun candy. You can imagine that as an child of 8 or so, I was pretty perturbed about this, enough so that it is one of my only memories of Easter growing up. Accompanying it is a memory of the year where we started sharing a family basket instead of individual ones, and this one had nothing but malt ball eggs and snickers in it. The most recent memory is of Dad hiding candy outside and then everyone searching for the stealthily placed treats as a 15 year old.
In my family we wern't really into the whole "Easter as another excuse for presents" thing. As a child I'll admit I felt cheated, especially when I saw the huge chocolate bunnies, or baskets full of toys. Now, though I can say I am grateful for the way my parent's treated Easter. I'm overwhelmed by the commercialism of EVERY holiday. No matter how insignificant the date, it seems parent's are being convinced that children need substantial gifts and sugar highs at least once a month. Call me old fashioned, or maybe I was just raised differently, but I like the idea of at least keeping one religious holiday as just that, religious.
So as a way to balance things out, we decided that Saturday would be the day of egg hunts and treats, a completely different day and celebration from Sunday, when we recognize the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
Kate and I took the kids to Orem's Easter egg hunt for kids 3 and under. The kids seemed to have fun, but it actually really bugged me watching adults run around gathering the prize eggs for their small children. I don't want to get on a soap box, but watching a mother fill her 1 year old kid's basket with the coveted eggs, and then later open them for the kid, who could care less, bugged me quite a bit.

Alex didn't want the eggs anyway, she was content gathering as much taffy as she could off the grass, so I guess it doesn't matter. But I think I've decided this was our first and last large scale Easter Egg hunt.
We went back to the Brady's and decorated Easter Eggs, had a great BBQ lunch with all the family, and then hid the eggs and had our own hunt.
Much to my 8 year old self's embarrassment, Kate and I filled the eggs with fruit leather, strawberries, grapes and blueberries. Just me slowly becoming my mother. Alex was actually more than thrilled to find the eggs filled with berries. She shoved each and every blueberry in her mouth like a normal kid might do to jelly beans. It was hilarious and heartwarming to see her glee.
The rest of the day was relaxing. The night before Michael, Danielle and our family had done a Canada night to relieve our favorite foods and swap pictures. Thus on Saturday we got to enjoy a whole pan of super rich and delicious Nanimo bars.
I'm glad we had the opportunity to get together, play and relax with family on Saturday.
Sunday the girls were sick, but we still got everyone dressed up int he adorable Spring dresses Susan had found, and went to Sacrament meeting. I don't think Heidi has ever looked cuter, but with grumpy sick girls we didn't really get the chance for family, or individual photos.
Spring is a beautiful season that brings hope and joy. I am grateful for the chance of seasons, but more than anything I am grateful for the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I can't express my gratitude and love enough for my savior, Jesus Christ, who suffered for my sins, died and was resurrected, so I can be with my wonderful family forever.

No comments: