Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Alex's 3rd Birthday

Thursday, March 17th, 2011, Alex celebrated her 3rd birthday. Even though EVERYONE was sick and/or infirm, and none my wonderfully laid plans turned out, It was a fun day.
We woke up late and the first thing Alex wanted to do was open her gifts. The first was a rocking chair from Grandma Asay and the second a backpack filled with crayons and the most coveted item of all, scissors!
Compared to gifts and decorations, breakfast wasn't too important to anyone but Heidi.
She seemed a bit perturbed to be forced to celebrate anything before her tummy was full.
I had decided on butterflies for a theme this year. Cute and girly, yet still innocent.
A friend had brought over some princess figurines and cupcakes when Alex's little friends party was canceled due to illness and a 2 am E.R. visit. As excited as she was to go to Joy School, she just wanted to make the princesses dance all morning.
My favorite tradition on Alex's birthday is getting her a new St. Patrick's Day t-shirt from Old Navy every year. She loved putting the backpack on by herself and walking around. When I asked her to smile, this was her response. Apparently one of the boys and Joy School taught her this little stunt, and she was thrilled by it.
After Joy School Alex spent a good half hour sitting in the rocking chair and trying to make Heidi sit on her lap.
Try as I might, I completely failed to get a good picture of the two of them, together with their matching shirts showing.
Since our originally planned trip to the zoo was canceled, we went to the BYU paleontology museum instead.
Alex was moderately interested.
The biggest hit of the day was a visit to the cougar in front of Uncle LaVell's house (BYU Football Stadium).
I decided to get pictures of the kids, so in 20 years when they graduate from BYU, we can get a matching picture and it will be super cute. Tyler's response to this was, what if they don't go to BYU? My answer, Not and option. Because now I need my matching graduation picture.

This is how most of our family pictures go these days.
Alex couldn't have been more thrilled to just climb up and down those rocks all day long.
This is my attempt at a picture with Alex (notice the newest member of our family, The Boot). She said she would rather jump off a cliff, and then did so.
This was the closest thing we got to a picture together that day. Notice the exasperated expression as I give up.

Tyler was wonderful, catering to everyone's every whim all day long.
We ended the fun with a pizza party for family.
Another priceless response to "Hey Alex, can you smile for me?"
Heidi always loves the extra attention when family is around.
Alex LOVED opening gift after gift from her generous Aunts, Uncles and Grandparents.
She did a bit better at blowing out the candles this year on my first attempt at a strawberry cream cheese filled vanilla cake with WAY to much frosting and sprinkles.
The night ended with the boys watching the BYU basketball game on the computer, while the girls played with paper dolls and princesses. I'm not sure about Alex, but I had a great time.

No comments: