Friday, August 10, 2012

Times they are a changing

Last weekend Grandma and Grandpa were out of town.  Tyler and I thought we would plan ahead for a Saturday morning sleep in.
 We set out bowls and cereal and got the milk ready in the fridge.
 I guess one of the kids is still a bit too small to be trusted getting herself breakfast.
 We took the rest of the day and did a 23 mile bike ride up to Bridalveil Falls and back.  Unfortunately the kids were asleep when we reached our destination.
 But of course woke up 5 miles later when there was no place to stop.
 The rest of the week was chaos, planning for parties, and watching Ben and Kate pack for Arizona!
 Ben's birthday on Wednesday was also the final family get together and we had a blast of it.
We gathered the family and had a desert potluck out at Grandma Jake's.
 There were foot races
 I think Heidi is still pretty confused at the concept.
 The adults had a 3 legged race and all the other games turned into a water fight.
 Which didn't end until half the children were crying and cold, most of the adults were soaked, and we had run out of water.
 Then there was wiffleball until the mosquitos drove everyone to their cars.
 Thursday I tried to get a few pictures before Ben and Kate stole Archie and Annie from us.
 It was hard to get everyone to cooperate.
 These two had been getting along so well all week.
 I don't think it had hit the kids that Tucson is really far away.
 We got one last long morning play date (and some cupcakes) before it was time for departure.
 I'll admit I cried as the van pulled away.
 It's hard to see your best friend, AND your kid's best friends drive away in the same car destined for a far away land.
On the same day that Ben's family left to start a new chapter of their lives and graduate school, Tyler submitted 8 applications to P.A. school!  Hopefully in a year we will be taking off on an adventure of our own!

1 comment:

Kate, Ben and Archie said...

in 15 or 20 years, we need to get those 4 kids together again and recreate all of the pictures in this post. Especially the ones of Archie and Alex... oh and we should make them wear sailor outfits again. Miss you, hope you are having fun in Montana, and South Dakota and Wyoming!