Thursday, May 10, 2012

Summer


There are a few things I love about the summer, and this summer in particular.
I love that I can set the kids free in the backyard.  With the fence, the toys, and Alex able to obey- I can fix dinner, clean up a room or sit and relax for a few minutes while the kids lose themselves in an imaginary world full of sand and grasshoppers.  They could stay outside all day if I let them, and once the neighborhood kids get home from school the whole block is a party until dark.

I love being outside with my children. Somedays it's being barefoot, sitting under my big red umbrella with a book and a bowl of apple slices and some water.  Other's it's barefoot in the garden pulling weeds while Alex chases butterflies through the field.  There is just something about being outdoors calms us all down, and as frustrating as it is, I can't blame Heidi for trying to ditch her shoes every chance she gets.  I'm sure she gets it from me.
 There is something so fun about eating and drinking outdoors, not worrying about crumbs or spills or utensils.  There are the special cups and plates (if any are needed) and the bright colors.



This afternoon it was windy.  I've made a habit of leaving the umbrella up and open at night and the afternoon gusts destroyed my lovely table.  The wind blew the umbrella up and the pole shattered the glass table and then it was thrown across the yard.
I lost my umbrella stand, my table and the luxury of going barefoot outside.  To add insult to injury the dog chewed up my tablecloth. grrrrrrr.
The table was a steal from DI last summer, $8 well spent.  I can't convince myself to pay $50+ for a new table, or $20 for a replacement top. I suppose I'll begin scouring garage sales and checking adds. grrrrrr.
Alex had awful bedhead yesterday, so I curled her pretty little hairs and she loved it.  I was shocked when Heidi then begged me to do her hair and actually sat still for it!  Her little golden head done up in curls was too cute to handle.  Here Alex is glorying over her newly caught baby grasshoppers which she "saves" and puts in little homes (holes in the sand which she promptly buries them in.)

No comments: