Thursday, May 24, 2012

Joy School Graduation

Last Saturday we had Joy School Graduation.
It was bitter sweet.  I loved Joy school this year (what a difference a year makes!), but I think we were all ready for the freedom of summer.

We had such a great group of Mom's and kids, I hope we can keep in touch and do play dates throughout the summer.  Everyone is either moving or has decided to put their kid into a preschool next year and it is half relief and half sadness that Joy school is over "forever".  We will see how Heidi grows and maybe I can do both years with her.

Here are the Joy school kids from last year, how they have grown!
 
Looking back, I think we were crazy to start them so young!

Our first week of summer has been great.  We have spent LOTS of time outside (at the garden) and yesterday Alex led us on a walk.  All morning she had been talking about going on a walk and so I let her take the lead as she packed us a picnic, directed us to our bikes and then led me to the park to play.  It was fun to sit back and let her be in charge of everything and I think she enjoyed it as well.

We have a week to figure out our summer routine before we go on vacation to Montana!  So far we have made a habit of making beds and cleaning rooms after breakfast.  Then the girls get dressed and I do their hair.  We then choose a chore stick out of the jar as well as attend to any messes that need to be cleaned.  I'm such a morning person that I can barley get the kids to this point before I want to be running errands and accomplishing things.  All this week we made it to the garden, where the kids played like Tom and Huck while I weeded.  We spend the rest of the morning playing and then do lunch and quiet time (nap) and then books and backyard play in the late afternoon.  It's been a good schedule so far but I think I'd like to interject some "school" time or a craft perhaps in the afternoon.  I'm an over scheduler.

Today we spent the entire afternoon in the backyard with cousins and friends.  The Mom's sat in the shade laughing and eating while the kids ran and played and ate.  They were so well behaved that the time flew by- it was one of those wonderful summer days that you almost feel guilty for!  I just hope I can squeeze in a dozen more before the cousins move away!


No comments: