Saturday, October 30, 2010

Finally, pictures of someone else!


Here in Utah Valley it's sort of hard to be an individual some times.
It seems like every single person on the street is a Mom in her mid 20's with 2 kids, a husband in school and a standard issue 5 lbs. digital camera around her neck.

I sort of miss being one of only a few young families in our Montana ward, and being the only Mom with a kid in the cart at the grocery store. I will say It is nice here since this area is saturated with families, there are a BILLION family oriented stores, and play places, places to go and things to do. In Billings there were mostly Bars and Casinos.

But I digress. I've thought a lot about trying to be a family photographer for fun and a little money to help us out while Tyler is in school. I guess I never had enough confidence in my work to think that anyone else might like my pictures. I know I'm not fantastic, but I'd like to think I'm at least above average.

A few months ago I took pictures of all the neighborhood kids to get some practice (and lets face it, new subject matter) in photographing kids. One of the Mom's approached me afterwards and asked me to take her family pictures for her.
I was so excited!!! I'm usually forcing people to pose for pictures so this was a treat! We finally were able to get everyone off work and healthy on a warm day. I had a blast! They were such a cute family, and I probably could have spent 3 hours taking their pictures if my battery hadn't died on me. So here are a few of the best (and there were a LOT of good ones, they were just so cute!).

I have come to the conclusion though that I'm just not a business person. I'm so paranoid about everyone being 100% satisfied that I just stress myself out about meeting their expectations. Then I look at the pictures I've taken and think "I like that a lot, am I crazy or is that actually a good picture?" For me, it's enjoyment. I just love doing it.











4 comments:

Kara said...

Krist these look awesome!! You did a great job!! Man stop being so talented at EVERYTHING!!! Count me and Devin in for your next round of family pictures (even though we are lacking the family part) it would be fun!!

TJ and Stephanie said...

Your pictures look AWESOME! You did a great job!! Are all of those taken at Grandma Jake's? I recognized the red barn, LOVE IT!!

natalie spratling said...

Kristen fabulous photos. You have an eye for it. I agree everything you do, you do well. So don't stress.

Ashley DeMille said...

Those pictures are so cute! I wish you could take mine! We had those same spider treats for our halloween party and nobody had ever seen them before! It must be one of those Montana things J/K!