I think at this point I would be completely OK with changing Alex's diapers for the next 10 years if she would just leave her diapers on, and the poop alone. Yesterday I broke my oath to myself not to let Alex watch TV except on very special occasions, and made her sit on the potty chair for 3 movies while pumping her full of cool aid and sandwiches. It was semi-successful, more so than anything else we have tried, I'll spare you the details. It was actually a pretty good day, until we went to grandma's house and she once again removed a poopy diaper to play in it. Good thing Archie called her out on it and alerted the adults. I think my new approach, for everyone's sanity, is just to duct tape her diapers on until the day comes where she asks me if she can use the toilet. I have definitely joined the ranks of women who would rather go through labor than potty train.
Looking back I can see all the things we did wrong, hindsight is of course 20/20. I won't rehash all our mistakes, so I can keep a little bit of my motherly pride and dignity. I know everyone who has gone through this wonderful stage of life has their own opinion on how it should be done and honestly maybe trying them ALL was our mistake. I've probably learned more in this process than Alex, although I can't say I'm grateful right at this point.
To add a new twist to things, I think we have a sleep walker. At 11:30 Alex crawled into bed with us, naked and shaking like she was terrified of something. She wasn't acting at all like herself and had her hands pushed over her ears and her eyes squeezed shut. When I would move her hands from her ears, she covered her eyes. When Tyler asked if he could hold her, she jumped into his arms and clung to him like a little monkey. It was really scary! Thankfully Tyler thought of giving her a priesthood blessing and she immediately calmed down, lay down, and went to sleep on our bed. A while later she woke up and was her sweet little self. When we asked about it this morning she said that Winnie the pooh was talking to her in her room and she was really scared. I am just so grateful that we have the blessing of the priesthood in our home. What a wonderful gift and protection that is to our family. I do know that sleep walking seems to run in my family, so..... any tips on calming that down?
1 comment:
So my sister has a little boy that takes his diapers off and plays in his poop. When they are home she puts him in blanket sleepers but puts them on backwards, if they are out she puts a onesie on under his clothes and duct tapes the snaps. He has learned to not take off his diapers. Good Luck, I HATE potty training.
Post a Comment