Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Sweet Pork Sauce- minus the pork

So I've been experimenting with a lot of beans and rice recipes lately. But I recently discovered the absolute best way to eat any kind of bean, and so Alex and I have bean quesadillas just about every day for lunch. I've been telling everyone about it, so here it is.......

Kristen's Awesome Quesadillas
First you get the cook at home tortillas that you can find at Costco or Walmart. They are simple to cook up and so delicious. Then you top the cooked tortilla with cheese (still in the pan) and whatever kind of bean you want (i like using Kidney beans or black beans), then you pour a bit of this magic sauce on (see below), top with another (pre cooked) tortilla, let the cheese melt, and it is like you are eating a pork burreto from Cafe Rio, in less than 3 minutes, in your own kitchen.

I just took a sauce recipe from Cafe Rio pork I found on the internet and tweaked it a bit to my liking, I can't even remember the exact measurements, just add or subtract according to your tastes......

1 can Coke
1/4 cup brown sugar
dash garlic salt
1/4 cup. water
1 can sliced green chilies
1 can Red enchilada sauce (I used Old El Paso, medium spiciness)

Add all ingredients in a blender and mix until you have a nice smooth sauce, bring to a boil and then let simmer until you have the desired consistency. I think I used a bit less sugar, and coke, just adding until it looked like a sauce instead of a soup. The sauce is just great and it only takes a little bit to add a wonderful kick to a bowl of beans or a yummy quesadilla. I pour it into little tupperware containers, freeze it and then when I run out grab a new one from the freezer and I'm set to go! I love it because it takes about 10 hours less than doing the whole "mock Cafe Rio pork salad" thing, tastes just as good, and you don't even need the pork.

Everyone should seriously try this, it is great and healthy and addictive (or maybe it's just those tortillas)!




2 comments:

Aaron and Megan said...

Oh I am so trying this it sounds good and easy which is a must around my house, and we (I) am addicted to those darn tortillas too.

Gwen Crockett said...

I will have to try that. Sounds yummy.