Saturday, August 1, 2009

My first garage sale!!!!




I always heard people talk about how hard garage sales are. I remember thinking "yeah right, you just sit there for 5 hours." Oh I was wrong.

So Tyler and I are dejunking for our move to Provo in about 2 weeks, and I had mentioned the idea of a combined yard sale to a friend and neighbor about a year ago, and she concurred it would be a great idea. So we finally did it!

After a week of planning and work we had our garage sale on Friday. We researched and decided to just try a 1 day sale, Of course that day it would rain, and rain, and rain(after a week of hot days full of sun). After that frustrating day spent rearranging everything under tents and in the garage and having very few visitors, we decided to extend the sale a day (because we had sold just about nothing).

Overall it was a great experience. I really enjoyed spending the time with the Spratlings and getting to know their family a bit more. It was fun watching Alex play with all the toys and we even came home with a few barbies curtsy of Hannah, Bailey and Sidney. We had high expectations that were not nearly met, but we all dejunked a lot, learned a lot, and came away with a few of each others treasures. Tyler and I traded a nice hanging shelf we just didn't have room for, for some small luggage pieces we had been searching around for, 3 barbies, 3 frames, and one of those princess canopy's (I said it was for Alex when she gets a bed, really I wanted it for myself).

Other pluses.....We found a ton of old toys from my childhood in the granary and have been playing with then ever since. We bought a ton of muffins and otter pops to sell, sold about 1 of each and then consumed our daily allotment of calories in costco muffins alone. Got to spend a lot of time, chatting, visiting, and playing outside.

Best of all we got rid of our couch. I can't even go into the details about that couch and the love hate relationship I had with it. But it's gone now, and i never have to think about it again. In the end, that was the best gift the garage sale could have ever given me.