(Here is a picture to go with the last post, Alex and I at the trail head to go to Spirit Mountain Cave)
To say that life has been a whirlwind the last week would be a HUGE understatement. Between moving, unpacking, seeing family, seeing more family, school starting for Tyler, Alex’s hip appointment, temple dedication, cupcake night, and all the other "little" things, I feel like I've had no time to breath!
We are finally settled (for the most part) in our little house, which is a LOT bigger than I had imagined it. Tyler's school is going well, and so far I've successfully avoided letting him practice starting IV's on me. There is a lot of noisy construction going on right outside our house, but we are loving living above ground even in the sweltering heat. Alex has her own room, and therefore life has improved already about 150%.
I've been swaying back and forth between excitement at being back in Utah, and deep feelings of annoyance and frustration with the state.
I miss the quiet of Montana, the open space and the clean air. I miss going to bed to the sounds of cows and waking up to the sounds of chickens instead of falling asleep to traffic and waking up in the morning (and throughout the night) to car alarms, traffic and construction.
I miss walking out the front door and having chickens for Alex to chase or sheep for her to play with, and a huge grassy yard where she could wander to her hearts content. Our front yard here stretched right into busy center street and our back yard is full of sharp prickly grass and hornets. Although I am gratefull that the Brady in-laws and their nice backyard only live a couple blocks away.
I DO NOT miss the spiders though. Or the mosquitoes, or the beetles, flies, and many other insects that would come visit me in my bedroom, bathroom, living room, and all other living spaces in Montana. I generally love the bug freeness we are experiencing in Utah.
I like that when I want to go for a walk there is a beautiful trail, or miles of neighborhoods to wander through instead of a gravel driveway that ends in a busy street with no shoulder to walk on. I have had a very strong urge to pick up some pepper spray though, after a few creepy encounters . Something about the “big city” has me all nervous. With all the cars and houses so close, I feel like I hear someone breaking in my house every 15 minutes.
I like seeing the Brady's and playing with them. They are a very "game friendly" family and i've enjoyed the cupcakes, popcorn and board games again. It's nice being in a place that has "things". Like great restaurants and some variety and competition in stores. Pretty much anything we could want to do is only 20 miles away at most. Unfortunately with all the traffic, those 20 miles may take you a long while to drive.
Most of all I dislike the traffic and the clones. I was so excited to go to the store yesterday. There was this great deal in the Smith's add for cereal. On top of that I had a lot of coupons to sweeten the deal. I arrived at Smiths to find that EVERY SINGLE item I had a coupon for, was already sold out. I was stunned. In Montana people don't use coupons, and no matter how good the deal is, the store rarely sells out of something. Then I realized I am back in Utah, where there are 5,000 other people just like me. Grocery shopping was the highlight of my week in Montana, It was so relaxing to peruse the isles, even with Alex. Now wherever and whenever I go, there are hoards of college students walking around with their friends laughing obnoxiously loud and throwing giant beach balls at each other. I’m sure this has something to do with the beginning of school for BYU and UVU, but whoa, worst shopping trip ever.
I am excited for things to cool down and settle down, and to get to know my neighbors and ward members. It’s been a CRAZY week, but I am optimistic (although I have no intention of living in Utah forever, sorry Tyler).
5 comments:
I hope you have fun in Utah, Montana is sad to see you go!
This Montana family sure misses you all:) Growing up in Utah I can relate to the congestion...and it is 100x worse now. Montans does have some treasures..I can relate to your views of the wide open sky and acres to roam. Have a fabulous weeks good luck with the shopping - it will just take some getting use to and finding when and where to shop.
I agree with the shopping, I went to Smith's also, and they were out of everything I went for. Now you are back in Utah we should get together,go to a park or something.
Krist, we don't intend on living in Utah forever either, so we'll all just move together, to the same place, for-ev-er. Ben says:if its a big city we'll all complain about the traffic together and if it is a small town, we'll all complain about the yucky bugs together (bugs are no bueno) Love you!
oh I know what you mean about the stores! I go back and forth--I get some great deals some weeks, and then some weeks I swear I'm never going again. (yeah a little dramatic I know)
Post a Comment