Tuesday, September 23, 2008

healthy sleep habits, healthy child

So awhile ago one of my Mom's friends mentioned this book she had read that really helped her with her kids sleep habits. Alex has never been that bad, but I everything I read says at 6 months she should be able to sleep through the night, so I thought I would check this book out and see what it said.
MIRACLES! One of the first things it mentions is that if you are trying to put your baby to bed when she is already yawning or acting tired, it is to late. You need to do it like 30 minutes before. So I tried it. The last 6 months Alex has slept more than 4 hours at a time half a dozen times. That night, she slept from 7:30 pm until 5:45 am, and then from 5:45 until 8:00am !!!! 2 hours later she took a 2.5 hour nap!!!! I was amazed.
The next thing the book mentioned is that if your child is ever just sitting there in a stupor not really playing for fussing or doing anything, try to put them to bed. So last night at 6:30, I noticed her doing just that. I took her to bed, and she whined for about 2 minutes and then fell asleep until 7am this morning!!!!
I really hope this is not a fluke, because I am getting spoiled on more than 4 hours of sleep at a time!!! This book is great, it has sleep suggestions for all ages, and I can vouch, it works! Alex was more cheerful during the day and was able to play by herself for a much longer stretch of time. "Healthy sleep habits, happy child".

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I am glad that you found my blog!! I can't really say a lot about babies and sleeping,.. Bailey slept through the night since the day we brought her home! BUT I did start putting her to bed at 6:30 and she slept through the night,.. usually till 7:00am. And then she was already ready for a nap with in 45 min until she was 11 months old and then she wanted to stay up longer in the mornings. But it saved me!! I hope it continues! Moms need their sleep!!

Aaron and Megan said...

I am going to have to read it.I am so desprite for more than an hour of straight sleep. I have tried so many things and she is getting worse! I hate night time.

Elizabeth said...

sleeping through the night is awesome score one for the parents! I also liked some book written by a Brittish woman, I forget what its called at the moment, she taught the E.A.S.Y. method...Eat, Activity, Sleep, and finally Your time.