Before Tyler went out and began actually working on fires this summer, he was able to take a few classes that got him certifications so in the future he can get better jobs working on fire. Unfortunately for him, I don't plan on letting him get any job where these certifications would come in handy.
In one of these classes they handed out a packet that was 30 pages long, and all about the many different ways that wildland firefighters can die. It listed most common ways and being burned to death wasn't even in the top 3! Aircraft accidents was #1, vehicle accidents was #2, and surprise, heart attacks were #3 (although the article stated that volunteer firefighters were the ones to die of those). Falling rocks and trees was #5 and electrocution, lightning, falls, smokejumper training, and murder didn't really got a percentage but were lumped together.
Since reading this article I have tried NOT to think about it, but yesterday a helicopter carrying 11 firefighters crashed in the Shasta trinity national forest. That is exactly where Tyler was on his last tour, and he was shuttled around a few times by a helicopter. Every time I hear about him getting in a plane or a helicopter I get so nervous. I am so grateful that he has been safe so far this year, and I pray daily that the Lord will continue to keep an eye on him. I feel awful for the families of the 9 firefighters who died in this crash. I don't know what I would do if anything ever happened to Tyler, he is my best friend, my everything.
4 comments:
I don't know how you do it Kristen. I would be so worried all the time. We will pray for Tyler to be safe.
I sure enjoyed all the new posts and pictures! I'm glad you are having fun and doing well. Looking forward to seeing you on Tuesday.
Haha, that is awesome you found my blogspot. There is not much on it yet, cause I'm a slacker, but I'm glad you found it anyway. :-)
I'm not very good at this blogspot leaving comments thing, the anonymous one is me.
Post a Comment