Wednesday, October 31, 2012

The Baby Gender Reveal Party

Tyler and I were adamant that we were NOT going to find out the gender of this, our 3rd child.  We figured it would make the pregnancy finale more exciting, and keep us on our toes through the 9 months. 
Then I talked to Kate and she all but convinced me to do it.  Then I saw a million examples of super rowdy boys in 2 days and started to get nervous.
So within days we had completely flipped and decided to find out, found out via cake, and then find out before our 20 week appointment so Kate could be here for the fun!  When I told my Mom and then accused her of thinking me crazy she said "No, I'm just super practical, and you like to make a party out of everything!"  It's true, and the one person who understands (and shares) that is Kate.
Well it was fun!  It about killed me holding the envelope containing the secret for the 5 minutes we had it.  We passed it off to my cousin Alyson who then e-mailed the baker to make us our special cake!  It turned out PERFECT and soooo Delicious!  Just what I had pictured!
The time to cut the cake was set for 6:30 Monday night and we invited a couple close friends and family.  The tally started out with just Tyler and myself- each voting for one of our own.
I made cupcakes and frosting flavored with koolaid, which I think was a bad idea because it was SO sour it made my mouth water for an hour after I sampled it!
I was more nervous cutting that cake than I was our wedding cake!
The first cut revealed nothing, not a crumb.
I was SO nervous and excited!  It was such a fun moment and the entire room was full silent/ full of nervous laughter!
By the end of the second cut I could see the inside!
Thanks Kara for taking such great pictures of the whole thing!  It's so fun to go back and relive the moment, you can tell exactly what I'm feeling from the look on my face.  To bad Tyler was hiding in the shadows!
I think I knew all along.  I was pretty sure from the beginning, but then I started to second guess myself, and worry and wonder and fret.
Alex kept saying it was a girl, but she wanted a boy.  That night she was sporting a blue ribbon to show her vote until about 2 minutes before we cut the cake.  Then she suddenly changed it to pink!
Heidi was always VERY adamant that it was a girl.  And whenever anyone would suggest otherwise they would get a very angry Heidi yelling at them that it was a SISTER!
The rest of the night was a sugar coma haze of laughter and excitement and name ideas.
This was the official tally before the cut.  EVERYONE thought I was having a boy! I think that's what threw me off, if everyone else was so sure, and this pregnancy had been SO different, they they must be right?!
The best part of the party was that it marked the beginning of Fall Fun Week 2012.  These two plus Archie are in town until Monday and so far there has been nothing but junk food, late nights and too much fun!  Oh, and don't you love Kate's new bangs!!!

3 comments:

Benjamin Brady said...

Congratulations. Admittedly, I too thought it was a boy, mostly because I believe that boys add a certain homeostasis-like balancing force to families already full of princesses. But since you are having another girl, the best case scenario now I believe is for your family to go all in. Tyler, you're going to need to stop resisting. Do you want to play Cinderella or Sleeping Beauty at the next dress-up party?

Also, if you are worried that having a girl reduces some of the novelty from the third child go-around, maybe you can hope that she will be ultra chubby, like a 14lb. wonder baby. That would be new and exciting, right?!? I have changed my vote from boy to chunky baby girl.

Congratulations again! And thanks for showing me Kate's new haircut. It will be easier now to tell her she looks pretty without the infamous, 2-3 stutter-pause as I recoil from the shock of seeing a different person.

TJ and Stephanie said...

I am so happy for you! Such fun pictures and I love that the whole family was there to find out with you... So special!!
Miss you guys, hopefully next week it will work out that we can see you!!

Danielle said...

I'm not sure if she will see this, but Kate's bangs DO look cute. And I finally caught up on your blog - yay! I think the cake idea is so fun... maybe I will try it next time. Except that you won't be here... ;(. I love that your face was captured on camera - I'm glad that didn't happen to me, since nobody wants to remember that they were crestfallen and crying (oh, emotional pregnant ladies). I love Bridger more than anything now, though! Anyway, good post. See you tomorrow. :)