Thursday, February 9, 2012

Things I've forgotten to write about

Alex set a goal in Joy school to save up her money to buy Mommy a Christmas dress.  About 1/4 of the way to the goal she decided that she wanted to buy a toy instead.  So off we went to the store to see what she could buy with all the quarters she had earned washing windows and cleaning the house.  Her first choice was a plush smurf, we kept walking.  She wanted the playdough dentist and the bride and groom Barbie set.  There were probably 30 more requests as we wandered the isle, but most of them were out of her price range which really surprised me. Toys are expensive!  We finally settled on Polly Pocket until she saw Little Mermaid Barbie and then about 2 minutes later choose Rapunzle Barbie.  Of all the choices I was most OK with this one and so we left.  She loves the doll and combs her hair all the time.  But best of all it taught her about wants and needs and money.  Unfortunately for her- Mommy doesn't pay that well for chores and her piggy bank is empty, so the play dough dentist thing she talks about everyday will just have to wait.

I decided when we moved (and Alex graduated from her toddler bed into a twin bed) that for her birthday I would make her a quilt comforter.  I finally made it to the fabric store to pick up what I would need and accomplished the cutting out of the pieces (with a bit of help).  WOW, I've never made a real quilt before and I've totally bitten off more than I can chew!
The idea is polka dots.  Each quilt square is made up of 4 smaller squares and together they form a circle inside of a square.  I've spend countless hours on this thing and I haven't even finished sewing the tiny squares of 1/4 circles together.  Hopefully it turns out and is worth all the trouble, but BOY, Heidi's 4 year old quilt is going to be a lot simpler!

No comments: