Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011

Thanksgiving was bittersweet this year.  A week before the holiday my Grandpa Sanderson died, and so Monday morning we drove to Freedom Wyoming (in Star Valley) to attend his funeral.  
 The last time we had been in beautiful Star Valley was 4th of July 2010.  Heidi was 2 months old and Alex had just turned 2.  We had a great time and it was fun watching Grandpa enjoy his only Great Grandkids.  This time around the weather and the road were terrible.  I wondered if we would make it at all.

 It was fun seeing so much family, and hearing all the fun memories.  I often think of my parents and Grandparents after hearing stories about them when they were younger, and wish I could have known them back then.  It's a shame the only time you have everyone you love gathered together at the end of your life is at the funeral.
 I remember Grandpa was always so kind and spoke gently to us always.  I remember his love for fishing and how when we were kids we would always go see the Elk and Buffalo in Cheyenne.  I will always have fond memories of my times with him, but more recently watching Alex play with him.   
 
After the funeral we went straight to Billings.  It was decided that since we were halfway there, it wasn't worth driving all the way back to Provo to watch Alex's dance recital.  I keep telling myself that she probably would have just stood on stage and cried, but I get a stomach ache thinking about all the money we put into that dance class and the $50 costume sitting in the closet.
 I am glad we got to extra few days in Montana though.  Even with a full week of my family the time flew by too fast and I wasn't ready to leave.  Alex and Heidi LOVED the horses.
 Everyday at Heidi's insistence we would go out and see the dog, cows, chickens and horses, and stay way past the point of frozen fingers and toes.
 I am so proud of my little cowgirls.  Alex wasn't the least bit afraid, and once Heidi saw her brave sister, she wanted on too.
 I think we have a horse lover.
 They would have stayed up there riding around the field all day if we had let them.

 The girls had a blast with their Uncle David and Stephen and figured out quickly that they could get those boys to do anything they wanted.  Alex was still a bit shy around Stephen, we tried everything.
 Then he shot a pheasant and Alex was stuck to his side like glue as he plucked, skinned and gutted the thing.  Tyler's favorite quote of the week was after lunch when Alex said "If I put my coat and shoes on, can I go with Stephen to get the guts out?!"  She carried around the wings and tail outside, thinking we would be taking them home with us, until we were able to stealthily throw them away.  After that activity Alex wouldn't leave Stephen alone and was quite upset that he couldn't fit in the back seat with them on the drive home.
 Heidi was the entertainment the whole week.  I have an entire slideshow of pictures just to prove that.
 I had forgotten how cold and windy Montana can get, and unfortunately it was too cold to spend a lot of time playing outside.
 But the girls relished every moment they got.
There is nothing I like quite as much as watching someone else enjoy my children.  I will admit that watching my brothers play with my kids somehow makes my love grow for them them more each time.
 Unfortunately these are the only pictures I got.  My Grandmother also spent Thanksgiving with us and the girls adore her.  She played barbies and read books and calmed Heidi down when I needed the help.  It was a great week spend with family and good food.
 
On the way home the girls got to see their other set of Great Grandparents on my side when we stopped in Worland and spent the night.  We had the treat of seeing some fun cousins that we never get to see, playing games and doing crafty things. I hope Heaven is just a big family reunion 24/7.

In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I am Thankful for one little girl who loves to color and sew, read, tell stories and cut paper, and can entertain herself during Mommy zen time, and another who takes good naps.
I am Thankful for family, wonderful friends and challenging callings in a church I know is true.  I am Thankful for Prophets, Apostles, the scriptures and the Ensign.  For a hard working, brilliant husband who would spend the rest of his life in school if I would let him, and parents in law who let us live in their basement.  I am thankful that I can be a stay at home mom and teach my kids what I think is important.  I am thankful for our country and the freedoms we have.

1 comment:

Joe and Renee Williams said...

So cute, "if I put my coat out can I help pull out guts...."