I sit here at my desk, the kids are successfully in bed after only a minor struggle with Alex.
Tyler is gone at the Anatomy lab until midnight and I can hear faint traces of NCIS from on the TV upstairs. The Cure is playing on PANDORA and I am enjoying a large glass of water and the remains of Heidi's Halloween candy.
By remains, I mean what's left of the good candy. The Reeces peanut butter cups and milky way's have been gone for days. The snickers and Twix were next to go. I'm currently snacking on a butter finger and in a dissatisfied sort of way eyeing the king sized Babe Ruth sitting in the bag. There is still a plethora of M&M's, tootsie rolls, dots, nerds, and whoppers. Not to mention the lifetime supply of dumdum's.
I've been very productive the last 2 weeks. I'm proud to say that other than a few gifts still in the works and 2 people to still figure out, I have already completed my Christmas shopping for the year and ordered our Christmas cards! I am looking forward to making sugar cookies, playing in the snow and enjoying the holiday's this year.
Among the things completed this week, Tyler finally convinced me to get Heidi's hair cut.
There is some mystical bond between a mother and those precious baby locks. It is almost physically painful to watch those hairs fall to the floor. Alex didn't get a real hair cut until she was 2 years old!
I look back at the pictures and cringe, I should have taken the leap at a year and saved her 12 months of mullet snapshots.
Heidi got her first trim at 18 months, a full 6 months before her sister. Oh how I love that white blond hair!
She might be our pixie child, Tyler and I have talked about keeping her hair super short until she protests.
| We love Kara, If it weren't for her I'm sure both my kids would still be sporting mullets and my husband would shave his head bald! |
I have been thinking about motherhood the past month a lot. I found this poem and ever since reading it, Heidi has been treated to long rocks with Mommy before nap time and bed. She is my cuddle bug and I've been a lot better at appreciating that lately.
Mother, oh Mother, come shake out your cloth
empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
hang out the washing and butter the bread,
sew on a button and make up a bed.
Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.
Oh, I've grown shiftless as Little Boy Blue
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
and out in the yard there's a hullabaloo,
but I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo.
Look! Aren't her eyes the most wonderful hue?
The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
for children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.
So whoever has me for Christmas exchange this year. I'd really like a copy of this poem. Printed, needle point, photographed, framed, whatever. It's something I need to read often, because my babies are growing up.


2 comments:
These pictures make them look like they are getting so bit, Alex is gorgeous!
So True! I love that poem. Sometimes it hits me as well how fast time really is flying by. I'm not sure how I feel about it....
Heidi's hair looks ADORABLE! I love the little pixie cut on her!
Post a Comment