The swingset will come with us, but the sprawling view across all 3 backyards and the alfalfa field behind us will stay.
The ancient trees that shade our play area and all the birds who wake us up in the morning won't be coming. The walnut tree and the family of quail that live under it will stay as well. But the skunks, the bird poop, the never ending supply of dead limbs on the lawn and the wandering stray dogs will also be staying!


Unfortunately, the chickens will not make the move with us. In fact they will be leaving us before we leave them.


I'll miss the fresh, organic eggs, and their soft clucking in the morning, but what I'll miss most of all is this. Watching Alex run out to feed the chickens in the morning and Heidi's strange chicken whisperer encounters. They made me feel like we lived on a tiny farm, and the backyard became so much fun!
We were able to sell them to a good home close by with a friend who will be taking them on Saturday. I keep thinking that we can go see them whenever we want and can still enjoy some fresh eggs, but I think more than anything, I will miss them, and their relationship with the kids, the most when we move.
It's hard to leave, change is usually difficult, but I'm already plotting and planning and dreaming of ways to organize our new home. I'm ready for it, and as much as I'll miss the chickens our list of Pro's and Con's is quite heavily weighing on the Pro side of moving. So these next few days we will relax and enjoy life as we know it. Soon enough we will grow and change and become better for it.

No comments:
Post a Comment