Every time we drive through Wind River Canyon, I tell Tyler it's my favorite place on earth. It turns out this whole time I've been lying. Wind River Canyon has to take 2nd place behind Aspen Grove.
Yesterday I took my family to the Staff Reunion. Last time they held one was 5 years ago and I was working at the camp in Arts and Crafts for the second year, engaged to Tyler. Wow, 5 years already.
Going back was amazing. I've always been afraid that I wouldn't have as much fun as a camper, because being on staff at Aspen Grove was the greatest experience ever and it would be hard to top that.
Taking my kids back and watching them run around enjoying the places and things that I loved and helped create turned out to be fantastic. I can't wait until we can afford to take our family there because it's a magical place, my personal Neverland.
We started out at the castle aka "Theatre in the Pines".
They had a blast, and I had to remind myself that we could go there anytime we wanted, so we wandered back to the grove to check out all the old haunts.
Unfortunately the best swing set in the world and my favorite spot at camp, was replaced by a giant 4 story guest lodge, so we wandered past and sat by the fish pond for a minute.

This is my old "office" the pottery bridge where I spent most of my days teaching pottery and doing my own side projects. My real favorite place at camp.

There have been some cool improvements since I worked here, like the random animal statues all over.

Here is the look that seems to be on Alex face more often than not these days. It is usually accompanied by something like "don't touch me, I can do it by myself, let go, leave me alone".

I now fully appreciate the super awesomeness of the playground. I could happily sit here all day watching the kids wear themselves out on all these cool toys, under the mountains, next to the forest. To the left of the picture is a sandbox, giant playground with slides, and pirate-ship playground. In front are 2 airplane teeter-totters, and to the right is a life-sized teepee.

Frontier village was a hit. The girls loved running in, around and atop all the old buildings and old west stuff.

While Alex ran up the hill and went down the slide 20 times, and Tyler took Heidi on another train ride, I sat back and enjoyed the scenery.

We finally got a family picture! Who cares if the kids are smiling, we are wearing name tags, or my hair is a mess! We are all in it and matching!
While both our girls can be quite moody, at least one of them loves one of us at least once a day.
There wasn't a lot of staff from my years, but that meant I got to focus on my family and having fun. I did win a t-shirt in the drawing though, and we got to eat in the lodge and have those wonderful mint brownies. It was a great evening spent in the mountains, and now I want to go back everyday.




2 comments:
oh I love Aspen Grove! I want to go back so bad! How fun to get to go for a reunion!
How fun to visit Aspen Grove again, it is so pretty there. I love the picture of you and Heidi with the bears you look beautiful in that picture. You have such an adorable little family.
Post a Comment