In the last month I have become a great deal more educated on some issues that directly affect my families health. Mainly food.
I can't remember where this started, probably talking in church about food storage which led to an obsession with wheat. I then watched "Food Inc." followed by "King Corn", and then I started reading nutrition labels and shopping to avoid things like corn syrup and aspartame. I read Doctrine and Covenants section 89. And finally, the nail in the coffin, Tyler bought me "Eating Animals" by Jonathan Safran Foer, for Valentines day.
I've been dying to post about this book and my experience for a couple weeks now, but I still haven't figured out how to do it without offending or sounding preachy. I want to shout on the rooftops for all to read this book and join me, but I know that each person has to make, and come to these types of decisions on their own.
I have come to the conclusion that all I can do is strongly recommend, that if you are no longer satisfied with not knowing about where your food comes from, or what is being put into it, then you should do some research and find out. You may be shocked as I was about everything from corn to aspartame and mostly meat.
It is frustrating to say that when I have tried to share my new found knowledge, it seems my words are generally brushed off as though I have adopted a fanatical hippy lifestyle which will be tolerated, but still condemned. Perhaps it is the manner with which I speak, which is why I have decided to try and write my feelings down to better convey my message.
Here are my basic conclusions...
1. Religiously- D&C 89: 12-13, 15 states "Yea, flesh also of beasts and of the fowls of the air, I, the Lord, have ordained for the use of man with thanksgiving; nevertheless they are to be used sparingly; And it is pleasing unto me that they should not be used, only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine.... and these hath God made for the use of man only in times of famine and excess of hunger." By reading this I came to the conclusion that although I grew up eating meat quite frequently, and have over my life become content and accustomed to a mainly meat diet, animals are to be eaten as the exception, in hard and hungary times when other nourishment is hard to come by.
2. Ethically- While I believe animals were given to man to use, I do not believe that the ways we are now raising and slaughtering them, are kind or benevolent or virtuous in any way. I grew up on a farm and I have no problem raising and eating farm raised animals, who get to fulfill the measure of their creation and enjoy their life. I have a BIG problem, however, that as a country and a world, we are mathematically calculating how cramped, miserable, and sick we can make these animals before we horribly slaughter each one, so as to yield the greatest amount of meat and, therefore profit. I have no desire to eat tortured flesh.
3- Physically- After reading "Eating Animals" and being taken through the straightforward account of the life and death of factory farmed animals (which is what we buy in supermarkets), I have come to the conclusion that even if I set my religious and ethical beliefs aside, I have absolutely no desire to eat the meat that is available in grocery stores. These animals are pumped full of antibiotics and slaughtered with tumors and other illnesses and yet still somehow pass inspection and make it to our dinner table. They have been genetically altered to become fast growing mutants to fill our ever hungry bellies, and when their miserable lives are over they are slowly killed in filthy conditions that further contaminate their flesh just before being packaged and sent to the store.
I feel that each of these points is reason enough to change my eating lifestyle, and when put all together it is a pretty strong argument. Therefore, my family (Tyler is slowly joining the bandwagon) has decided first of all to GREATLY reduce the amount of meat we are eating, and furthermore, not to purchase our protein from the grocery store. I know that our small absence may not be noticed by those getting rich off of feeding America so poorly, and people may be rolling their eyes as they read this. But I feel very strongly that not only is it healthier to eat vegetables and grains for the majority of our nutrients and calories, but ethically it is also a better choice.
I can happily report that since I made this decision 2-3 weeks ago we have had a remarkably successful experience. At about this same time I decided to cut out as much of the prepackaged, full of preservatives and additives foods that I could. I have discovered a store nearby where grass fed, beef and pasture raised chicken is sold, as well as vegetables grown without the use of pesticides. I think we have eaten meat like once in this time period, and the rest of our meals have been full of rice with beans, salad, veggies, fruit and whole grains. I honestly feel better, healthier, and have started to crave sugar a LOT less than when we were eating prepackaged junk and frozen foods. Our grocery bills have been cut in half (even though we are buying the more expensive pesticide free veggies and meat), as well as time spent at the grocery store (being pregnant with a 2 year old, this alone is a HUGE blessing). I am very happy with our decision to change our lifestyle. I get a rush out of seeing Alex eat a entire grapefruit instead of a package of fruit snacks, or watching her enjoy beans and rice more than she ever did chicken nuggets. It is sort of gross to look back on how I ate 3 months ago and see all the ways I was polluting my body out of convenience, or desire. I feel like the Lord is blessing me and my family for having the desire to change, by making it easy for us, helping us find delicious alternatives, and showing us almost immediately how much better we feel. I hope that if any of you are sitting on the fence, maybe my experience will help give you the desire to make some changes or do some research. I can honestly say that I see this as one of the best decisions I have ever made in my life.
I do want to end by saying that I am in no way judging anyone who does not agree with me! I respect every person's free will. Eat meat every meal if you wish, just respect my choice to abstain!
3 comments:
I was talking to your mom about. She was tell all that you had found. I am anxious to investigate more. I truly don't think corn syrup or aspert. is good at all for our bodies. I'll have to get some more info from you...I am fasinated. hope you are all doing well.
I'm glad your being conscious about what you eat and being healthy. I could improve my eating habits too.
Post a Comment