Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Pre Christmas Fun

 
Alex had a dream awhile back that the Kratt brother's (from The Wild Kratts cartoon) came to our house.  She wrote them a letter, demanding them come to our house, and we sent this picture along with it.  I love this picture.  I almost stole it and kept it for myself, but if she had found it them she would have hated me.
December brought with it the first real snowstorm worthy of dawning the snow gear.  I was dreding having to get everyone ready. But then Alex got herself completely ready entirly on her own, and Heidi only needed boot and glove help, so I was pretty much in winter mother's paradise.
In a world of white and wonder, my kids will go straight for the buckets everytime, and dig up dirt to make muddy potions.
I'm trying only to stress about the muddy gloves when it's the neighbors garden they are digging up.
Since I'm trying to be a fun Mom now and then, I made a winter feast for lunch.  Somehow we had accumulated a huge variety of Christmas cookies and treats, so I busted out the fancery and worked hard making lunch before freezing children entered the house.

Hot coco, sandwiches with little pirate knives (I'd been holding onto them for the perfect occasion......for 2 years now.  This wasn't quite what I had imagned when I made the purchase) cookies, and milk from the cow.  I'd even busted out a table cloth.  Alex was wide eyed and I could tell she was in awe of the kitchen transformation and the yet unknown coolness of her mother.

The second snow day we decided to visit the front yard so I could shovel the "driveway".  This consists of about 2 sidewalk squares, 5 if I'm feeling generous and want to do the public sidewalk as well.  I enjoy shoveling so I did everyone's, Alex was happy to help.
 
This year Alex is really her own entity.  She made a snowman all by herself and was so proud!  I was so proud.  She has been excited about all the Holiday traditions as well, and this is the first year where I'm not the one reminding everyone about advent calendars and Christmas movies.  Unfortunatly this year with still trying to figureout a good schedule for homeschool, and Tyler unavalible, Quinn teething and presents to made and things to send- we've done a LOT less and I've fallen through on a lot of the advent activities. 
Quinn was having one of her "I am not amused to be in the bunny suit" days.
I think a childs first snowman is a pretty big deal.

We even had real carrots in the fridge, and I didn't even chastise her for building her snowman directly in front of the steps on our sidewalk.
Adorable!
The next day I decided to photograph the house from Quinn's perspective.  As embarassed as I am to reveal this picture, it shows why Quinn was so excited to finally be able to master that ledge and make it into the kitchen.
Heidi got those binoculars in the summer when we visited Philidelphia.  They go everywhere with us.  Best. Purchase. Ever.
Then there was the day we studied Native American's in History!
Quinn discovered that Heidi hides all wonderful small treasures under the Christmas tree.
Quinn also popped out some teeth.  She has 4 now and looks just like baby Alex with that giant gap!
I have no explaination for this picture.  I can't place it in my memory, I have no idea what they girls are doing, but I wish I did!
To celebrate the end of Tyler's first semester of P.A. school he made pancakes and we got to eat breakfast with him!  Alex was quite the pancake critic, but I have to say that Tyler makes the best pancake unicorns I've ever seen.  Handsdown.
Quinn is really good at hiding food in her lap.  I honestly think she places it there carefully, just to suprise me when I remove the tray.
She thinks this camera in the face thing is getting old.

Alex has reached a new level of camera posing.  I saw her walking around in my heels and tried to sneak a picture.  She saw me and struck this pose.  She used to roll her eyes and turn away from the camera.  This new thing,  it makes me laugh.

No comments: