Sunday, August 4, 2013

Settling into the new normal


Heidi's diaper changing skills are coming along nicely.  Give it another year and at a ripe old age of 4 she will be better than I am.

 Monday was our last Tyler day before PA school.  The end of an era.  I wanted to go out with a bang so we went blueberry picking!!!
 We took a winding, hilly road north to Paskorz Berry Farm where we were greeting by your typical upper middle age Pittburgian woman.  They are hard to describe, grandmotherly and almost intimate in the way that they talk to you and offer advice. "Where is your babies hat?  Shouldn't she be wearing socks? No, you can't come back to pick raspberries, I only let kids pick blueberries." It comes off as hostile, because they don't smile.
 We have a few of these women that live in the neighborhood.  It's interesting because you don't see any middle aged old men around (except the one across the street who comes out to smoke on his porch when it rains).  I've heard these two ladies in particular talking about me a few times when I've walked by.  They sit on the other side of the street, a few houses down, and I get the impression they know everyone and everything.  I was stopped by one the other day and informed that she had lived on this street 40 years, her Mom lived across the street and a few houses down were her daughter and grandkids.  She also told me that every evening from 5-7 she sits on the porch with her friend talking, and if there is ever an emergency to come to her.  I also got the history of every family and child who had lived on that street for the past 10 years.
    I don't think she smiled at me once, but I walked away thinking that if there ever were an emergency- I would totally take my kids to her.  And I don't remember her name.
 Blueberry picking was a lot of fun.  One of  our favorite stories is 'Blueberries for Sal' and Heidi made the "kerplink, kerplunk" sound as she put the berries in the bucket.
 Alex was in blueberry heaven, and even Heidi participated which was a surprise seeing as she is always telling me how she doesn't like berries, and won't eat them in pancakes, muffins or anything.
 After blueberries we visited 'Rita's'.  They make really good shave type ice and frozen custard and we've been told about them many a time.  Look at us, checking things of our must do list!!!!!
 After Rita's Tyler bought a new bike, because his road bike from DI had shed another bolt in the middle of his ride to school and I was no longer convinced of it's safety.  That evening we had both the neighbor families over for curry and FHE.  It was fun.
 Heidi is conflicted.  She wants to keep up with Alex and do everything she does, but she is really becoming her own little person and no longer lets Alex force her into being the prince.
 Alex will always pose for the camera, Quinn is only photogenic when I'm being lazy and Heidi is ALWAYS pulling faces!
 Alex decided the blueberries needed to be made into a pie, and so we made one.  With a sugar cookie crust it was delectable!  I had helpers.
 Heidi figured out how to pump on the swing this week!!!!!  She is so proud of herself and will ask to go out all along to just swing and swing and swing.  It's the cutest thing in the world and i can't help but stop what i'm doing to stare out the window at her, or sit on the steps and chat while she pumps away.
 On Wednesday I went to institute!  The couple missionaries put on a class for the mother's in the stake and afterwards there is a potluck lunch.  The mom's even switch off babysitting in the nursery!  On the way home we explored a bit and found some great Ally treasures.  The kids were always trying to ride the neighbor boys little scooter cars (the girls are WAY to big) so when i found this blue car thing I couldn't drive on.  We also scored a furry rocking horse and a toy vacuum.  These are the kinds of things you would pay good money for on KSL in Utah, and I'd actually previously purchased the exact vacuum at DI for $3.  It was broken and looked like it belonged in the dump but I bought it.  Our new one looks like it walked off the shelves of Toy's R us and it was free.  In fact all the free toys are in really good condition.  I'm very impressed with Craigslist here, everything is really lightly used and super cheap.
 Here is a shot of our backyard.  You can see how the fence is rolled back of the adjoining 3 yards so all the kids can enjoy a bit more space.  We have the swing set for the older kids-  if they go too high they hit the fence.  The next yard is mostly grass with a sort of hidden play house tucked away and the third yard has a trampoline and slide.  It's pretty much any kids dream I would imagine.
 We never have to water because it rains so much, and everyone shares the nice older lady net door's lawn mower.  We have this sort of weed tree in our Ally spot that is growing like crazy, and previous to taking this picture I sawed down a odd bush with a steak knife that was by our storm doors.  There is no privacy, and I'm so embarrassed when the kids fight outside because the entire block can hear- but it has helped me keep my temper a bit cooler because I know that not only will everyone hear me yelling at my kids, but then all the middle aged women will gossip about me.  More than they already do.
 Quinn has figured out a nap schedule, sort of.  She still loves her Daddy the best when it comes to the evenings, and LOVES to chew.
 Her preferences lean more toward fabric than flesh and still hates pacifiers.  She won't suck her fingers, but will soak a blanket, shirt or tie.  So we've taken to giving her a sock on her hand.
 She got really good at escaping the swaddling blanket, so I decided to sew up a contraption to keep her swaddled.  Actually I was about to drop $30 on one of these woombie things and then decided I could make one just as easy.  A trip to Walmart for a zipper, some leftover fabric from a nursing cover and voila!
  She loves it, although she can still escape when determined and is so tall that I had to extend my original  because it was WAY too small for my baby giant.
I can't help laugh every time I zip her up, the long skinny thing.

Tyler started classes Tuesday and is keeping busy reading and studying and experimenting on me with his new fancy ophthalmoscope and otoscope.  Ever since the toothpick incident (Stephen) I've not been fond of things near my ears, an I'm nearly blind from ophthalmoscope practice, but it's been fun.  Tyler seems to have some good friends, and so far he's been home for dinner every day.  Saturday we even went to an Omnimax film at the science center and i can't wait to go back and explore the rest.
   I've started driving and am starting to get used to how things are.
     I like Pittsburgh.

1 comment:

Benjamin Brady said...

If PA school is anything like Public Health school - and I'm sure it is exactly like Public Health school - then I don't think Tyler will be busy for longer than 5 or 6 hours a day, max. I think that medicine students have just learned that they could trick their families into thinking that they are super busy. Instead of studying, however, they probably go out for movies or bowling in the afternoons, before coming home and pretending that they are super tired from being super busy all day.

Kristen, don't tell Tyler my theory, just drop your girls off at the house of the lady whose name you cannot remember, the one who has lived on the street forever, and take Tyler bowling. If he does abnormally well, then you have confirmed my theory. Or better yet, grab him one day and say, "hey, I got tickets to that ultra manly, superhero movie, let's go!" If he says, "Oh, well, I'm sure you wouldn't want to see it," he is really saying, "I've already seen it twice last week."

Either way, I would remain skeptical about the busy schedule.

P.S., I am not suggesting that Tyler would willingly avoid spending time with his family. I believe that he actually had to sign a gag order upon matriculation, the same that all entering students have to sign. If one student is always going home early, then all the others are obviously going to get caught. Doctors (and PAs) are super sneaky people, at least if they are anything like public health folks that is.

We miss you guys.

And Kristen, if you don't stop putting up pictures of your grassy backyard, I will have to start showing you pictures of our Arizona yard gravel to make you jealous. Or even worse, your plan to make us jealous could backfire and Kate might take it as an invitation to come and live with you until I finish school. You don't want that Tyler. With two women in the house, your afternoon bowling will definitely be foiled. It is hard enough to be sneaky around one girl, with two you don't stand a chance. But knowing Kate and Kristen, they would probably tell you to get out of the house anyway, because you are getting in the way of their fun.