Sunday, June 9, 2013

Arches and Swimming


The days keep ticking away and with summer just beginning we are trying to prepare for the new and enjoy a bit of the old. 
 This of course means summer afternoons with Grandma jake and the cousins.  Catching bugs, playing puzzles and avoiding cats.  Grandma was able to con a few genuine smiles from little Quinn.
 Alex asked me a month ago about the orange rainbow she kept seeing on people's license plates.  I cringed to think that here we were in Utah and she didn't know what an arch was.  So we decided to make a final trip to Southern Utah before we left.  The night before I told her to go find her hiking outfit.  This is what she chose.  Adorable, but not something I was going to let her hike 3 miles in 100 degree weather in.  Naked Heidi wouldn't move out of the way for my picture. 
 I was pretty confident in our awesomeness.  We used to hike all the time, so what if I was 7 weeks postpartum, I'm still hard core.
Turns out, no, not exercising for 6 months really takes its tole.  I was slower than the kids (in all fairness they were carried like 1/3 of the way)

 This was the one and only part of the hike to Delicate Arch where Heidi and I were in the lead.  Thank goodness Grandma and Grandpa came or we may not have made it out alive.  I think Tyler was maxed out carrying 2 kids and after carrying Heidi a dozen yards up hill, I was done in for the rest of the day.  
 We could have chosen some easier hikes, but I was dead set on Alex seeing the license plate arch.  
 Heidi made it about a mile before she decided to become a kitty who refused to walk or be carried.
 I'm sure we were quite the spectacle, between Heidi crawling and meowing along the trail, to us tying her up to prevent any accidents along the cliff edges.
 Each child I have makes me a bit more afraid of heights.  When we arrived at the viewpoint my heart jumped up my throat about every 20 seconds until we left.  I don't trust Heidi not to jump off a cliff, although Alex was cautious enough to only moderately freak me out.  
 I couldn't watch as Grandpa and Tyler took Heidi and Alex to touch the arch, so instead I nursed and changed Quinn in the desert on a cliff, she is so far the most hard core infant we've had- more adventures at 2 months than her sisters had their first 6.
 Proof we made it!
 Proof to our children that we did fun things when they were little.
 Saying that Heidi is a character is a gross understatement.  She is either driving me nuts and ignoring me, or making me laugh and smothering me with her love and attention.  She is a child of extremes.  
 With all the side treks she made trying to climb everything, and I mean EVERYTHING- she probably hiked an extra mile.  
 Heidi is completely fearless.
 Grandma and Alex were buddies the whole time.  First ones to the Arch, first ones back- they were awesome hikers.  

 About 5 minutes into the return trip Heidi reverted back to being a kitty.
 And if you stare at this picture a minute you can just imagine how fun, and how long it took to get back to the car.
 There were a few times when super awesome Tyler was able to con her onto his shoulders.  He would run ahead and try to get as far as he could before she bailed.  And then ran BACK towards me- trying to keep up.
 Quinn was a trooper, and Tyler more so for hauling that little heatbox around.
 We some a few lizards, one was a beautiful turquoise, this is not that one.
 Another picture to sum up the return trip.  I should probably delete it so we will forget and try a hike again with her.
 Seeing the parking lot made my heart flutter.
 Until I remembered that we had parked an extra 100 yards down the road.
 Everyone worked up an appetite.  Lunchables have NEVER tasted so good.  
Other than Alex getting car sick and puking on the way to Arches, and me discovering a mile into our hike how out of shape I am, it was a great mini vacation and we loved having Grandma and Grandpa along to save our bacon and take turns carrying, bribing and rescuing kids.
 The Monday after Arches, Alex and Heidi started swimming lessons!  I was pretty nervous that they wouldn't participate- but they LOVE it!



I was informed that neither of them will probably pass their classes though because they both refuse to put their faces in the water.  I wasn't aware that they could pass or fail, and the fact that they willingly leave my side to go get in the water with their teacher is a victory so I'm not heart broken.
 Monday night Kate, Ben, Archie and Annie arrived for a week long visit! They tagged along to watch swimming lessons because we want to squeeze every single minute out of their visit!  It's been so much fun and we still have 2 more days!!!

1 comment:

Kate, Ben and Archie said...

so I just hadn't thought about how long I won't see you until I read your posts!! It really could be two years... but I am going to do my very best not to allow that to happen. I can't help but travel in the summer time so next summer expect some visitors on your doorstep:) We love you all so much--