Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Home stretch

Tuesday Tyler joined me on my monthly visit to the Ob.  I was a bit nervous because last time the doctor has said 'flower' was behind schedule on her growth and unless she did 6 weeks worth of growing in the next 4 weeks, we would have to do an ultrasound to see what was going on.  Well I didn't feel like I had grown much until I stepped on that scale- then I was REALLY hoping the baby had done her share of the growing!
    It was nice having Tyler along to chat with and ease the tension waiting in the room.  The doctor was easy going and very friendly and let us know that baby girl is right on track again!  That was the good news and it was great news!  The bad news is that nothing can really be done for all my other pregnancy ailments.  Over the counter remedies for this and that were suggested with a shrug and a look that said "You are pregnant, nothing is going to get "better" until that baby arrives honey so deal with it!"  I did stumble upon the realization that having Tyler sleep on the couch helps.  Then I can sleep on my right side and stretch my legs across the whole bed- tossing and turning as I please all night long.  This only works when the kids stay in their beds though- and it seems with bed wetting, night terrors and runny noses- neither Tyler nor I have gotten a full nights sleep in ages.  Also- I do enjoy sleeping next to my husband and I do have a heart.
    We've hit the February doldrums and the days seem to stretch on and on.  Alex and I are trying to do our own version of Joyschool for Heidi (I'm trying to gauge whether I can really be a homeschool Mom) and I'm trying to organize our days a bit better so there is some sort of structure in our homebound lives.  We've officially made Monday Geography day and it's been a lot of fun!  The idea is that someone picks a country and then all Monday we learn about that place, watch video clips about it and learn fun facts.  Then we make a special dinner from that country for dinner and after FHE try and have a correlating treat to go with the day's theme.  It's been a lot of fun, especially when the other adults get in on it!  This week Susan made German pancakes for dinner and these fantastic Black Forest Brownies for desert!  Next week is Egypt!
     I'm thinking of making Friday's Science day and have some fun experiments prepared, then fill in the rest of the week with reading, writing and math.  Alex is excelling in preschool and surprised me the other day by sounding out the written word cat and then dog!  She loves to draw and color and read books and has passed these loves onto Heidi as well.
     I've been a bit lax on my movie rules lately and Heidi has begun to enjoy a few shows again while Alex is in preschool.  I want to spend the time playing with her and getting some quality one on one time-but she BEGS for a show and LOVES them so much.  Yesterday I relented and sat next to her for some Wonder Pets- the theme song made me nauseous (Wonderpets were my fallback during the morning sickness months).  Heidi is doing so great with potty training!  She might have an accident once or twice a week and the nights are iffy especially if we forget to make her go RIGHT before bed- but things are SO much better.  She still insists on help though so i have to stand outside the bathroom and cheer her on so she will go on her own.  I'm sorry Future Heidi for all the details- I need to record this though so I'll remember the process with your little sister.
    The girls love their Daddy the most and often let me know.  Sunday (after 3 days of absentee Tyler) Tyler was pretty much running to show to my delight.  I sat down with Alex to play light brite and asked Tyler to put on some Hymns.  Alex said "Mom, Daddy does ALL the work.  Let him sit down and do something fun!"  I knew she must have just been talking about that day, but I'll admit to being a bit perturbed. The next day we were having a snack and she said "This would be funner if Daddy were here.  He plays silly games with us."  When Daddy is around Heidi clings to him, literally.  She follows him everywhere and cries when he leaves the room.  They are good friends.
    The girls are excited for our new addition and I can only imagine she is excited to meet them as well.  In the last week we started doubting our name choice and have gone back to the drawing board again.  Naming kids is hard!  'Flower' is very active at night and in the morning, rolling all around in there.  I have yet to get those cute little kicks I seem to remember with the others, instead she seems to throw all her against my insides, litterally moving my body with the force.  It throws me off gaurd and catches my breath more than anything, but she did have the hiccups for the first time a few days ago and that was cute.  I've also been experiencing fairly regular contractions for about a month.  They started around Christmas but in the past couple weeks I've been able to count on them more and more.  A dozen or so a day and they are pretty uncompfortable!  I think they are a step above Braxton Hicks because I have to focus on my breathing to get through and they usually start when I lay down.  Oh the joys! 
    We are happy and currently healthy and about to enter the time warp that will suck away March and bring our little Eskimo out of my belly and into our arm!
   

1 comment:

TJ and Stephanie said...

I can NOT wait to meet little Flower :)