For Christmas I gave Tyler a year's worth of dates. Preplanned and prepaid. It was difficult since while I was doing this I had no idea if we would be going to Maine or Pennsylvania and when that would be, but I did my best and I think I came through. Tyler can't see the dates until the beginning of the month. He then opens the envelope for that month and we set a date on the calendar to do the particular activity.
Tonight was date number 1. We got sucked into this british soap opera a few months back called "Downton Abby" and the third season premiered this month. So January's date was fish, chips and chocolate biscuits on the bed while watching the first episode! It was so fun! The envelope contained a box of british type chocolate cookie things I got from World Market, and a paper describing the date. Tyler was such a great sport and helped (did 90% of the work) cook the homemade fries and fish. It turned out SO good! We fed the kids sandwiches while we cooked and then put on a fairy movie for them in the living room while we took dinner to the bedroom and turned on the computer! I was worried that it was going to be pretty lame, but Tyler had a great attitude and the whole evening was a lot of fun. The food was fantastic, the company was even better and we didn't even have to spring for a babysitter (thank you Tinkerbell).
Now that we are 99% sure that we will be moving to Pittsburgh sometime in July, I'm sneaking back through the envelopes and reworking a few dates. It's pretty hard to plan fun and different things when you aren't sure if you are going to ever be able to leave the house again. Being in a new city with 3 young kids. There will still be that challenge of working around a newborn's schedule come April, but it will be easier to do fun things on our home turf. I'm also looking forward to our tax return so I can finish "pre-paying" for the rest of the dates.
So far I highly recommend this idea if you are stuck in that dating rut!
1 comment:
I like it! I think Ben and I will also take advantage of this. Our babysitter is not giving Annie a nap during the day and putting her down to bed at 6 then semi-tricking Archie to thinking it is bed time and he is asleep by 6:30; gotta do what ya gotta do:)
Post a Comment