Saturday, September 22, 2012

Sidewalk paint, apples and Jean-Luc Picard

It's that time of the year where we go through our clothes and rotate the summer things out!  I'm excited this year- I feel like we can start getting rid of things.  We have been the lucky recipients of LOTS of hand-me-downs, in fact Alex rarely wears new clothes at all.

By the time they hit Heidi, the 3rd child, They are about as stained and worn out as they can be and I can finally put them in the scrap pile!  Of course there are those few outfits that you wish they could wear forever, but overall it's been so wonderful cleansing the closet!

I also get to go through the boxes of hand-me-downs and figure out what is going to fit the next 6 months- labor intensive but super fun.  I like seeing all the cute clothes Alex gets to wear that I didn't have to pay for, and refinding the clothes that Alex used to adore for Heidi!!!

   It seems the day's have been busy for everyone and Tyler has had so much going on lately.  LAst Saturday Alex said " WHAT?! it's just you and me and Heidi today AGAIN.  I DON'T LIKE THOSE DAYS."  I didn't blame her, I felt the same way.  After 5 days of just the 3 of us, at the house, all day- by Saturday we are going crazy for someone else to spice up the mix and to get out of the house.  We went on a bike ride to the school and played on the play ground.  It was fun.
 
We also discovered sidewalk paint.  Cornstarch, water and food coloring.  The girls get bored after half an hour, and then I get to doodle on the sidewalk until the paint is gone.

 Heidi inherited a scooter from her second cousin and is in LOVE!  She rides it up and down the sidewalk for hours.  The other day I was distracted talking to a neighbor and had to break up the conversation when Heidi didn't reappear around the corner after a minute.  Turns out she had scooted down the next block and was crossing the street "To get Ashes safe out of the road, MOM!!!"
 Alex is excited about playing outside again now that it's coolings down.  I discovered that allowing her to take a few toys outside will keep her entertained for hours.  The novelty of being able to do something previously not allowed has not yet worn off.
    Grandma and Grandpa brought home some genuine Apple Juice the other day and now I'm in full fledged Fall mode.  I want the pumpkin pie and the stews and breads, I'm ready for snow days and hot chocolate and Christmas!  But I need to remember we still have Halloween and Thanksgiving, and before either of those- a visit from the Ben and Kate family which will be it's own week long celebration and holiday.

1 comment:

Kate, Ben and Archie said...

Let's just wear sweaters, drink apple cider and eat stew the whole week long!!! I am VERY excited!!! Cinderella appears to be leading on one of those star treky guys, you need to have a talk with her...