Tyler and I went to the movie Transformers last week. We were so disturbed by it that upon my mothers prompting, I decided to write a letter to the editor of our paper. Here it is. I know I probably sound like some crazy christian fanatic, but this is what I think, so be it.
I would like to forewarn all the parents who might fall into the Hollywood trap of ‘Transformers Revenge of the Fallen’. I realize that the PG-13 rating should be a somewhat of a red flag, but I believe most people will still be caught unawares, as my husband and I were, in assuming that the sequel would be comparable to the first: action packed with perhaps a few off color remarks or a bit of bad language. That was a gross underestimation, however. This movie proved to be far more offensive than we could have imagined.
Any place where they could fit in sexual innuendo (or worse), they did. The sexual overtones of this movie are so blatant that any 5 year old might blush at the disgusting and inappropriate humor that was perhaps the theme of this movie.
Hollywood is luring in audiences with the false pretense that the sequel will be similar to the first. There is, however, nothing redeeming about this sequel and I’m sickened at the thought of thousands of parents taking their children to this film with the idea that they are just going to see another action movie this summer.
I don’t imagine Hasbro markets their Transformer toys to adults and so I cannot help but think that they are intentionally trying to suck children of all ages into the theatre for the sole purpose of exposing them to adult themes and images. It’s like making a “Barbie” movie only to portray Barbie as a strung out, drug dealing, prostitute, and making that seem cool.
My husband and I are not old and “out of touch” we are only 24 years old, and yet after 20 minutes of this movie we almost walked out. After being subjected to the other 2 hours we wished we would have. I do not understand why any entertainment company would make a movie based on a children’s story line and then fill it full of lewd sexual behavior, bad language, crass racial stereotypes and disrespect towards adults, I have not even mentioned the ‘over the top’ violence because I figure that is a given. If you are still thinking of letting your child see this film, please check out www.kids/in/line.com first. This and other family friendly websites will walk you through every inappropriate scene, word or suggestion. I do not believe subjecting your children to such immorality is worth any hidden storyline that may be present somewhere in the noise and crashing violence.
Kristen Brady
Billings, Montana
2 comments:
Good for you for taking a stand.
Kristen, thanks for the heads up. It is so great to have others standing up for what they believe in.
Post a Comment