Wednesday, November 20, 2013

November

Heidi loves school.  She loves having my undivided attention while we learn something together, especially when I'm in the middle of teaching Alex something complicated, administering a test, or feeding the baby.  The other day I kept putting her off with promises that I would do her school in a few minutes after Alex finished a test.
Heidi wandered off and I assumed she was playing contently.  Awhile later I spotted her walking slowly down the hall, head down, arms behind her back.  This is Heidi's tell.  These days she could get away with pretty much anything and I wouldn't know, but when she does something she knows is bad, the quiet head droop slow walk hiding arms tells me something is up.
She admitted to drawing on the walls.  I was mad until I saw that she had actually drawn things!  Beautiful little Heidi people and snowmen!  I had to hide my smile while informing her of her punishment to clean them all up.  We discovered that her art wasn't limited to the walls, but spread to the doll house, and cubbies as well.  It was adorable.
The next day it snowed!  I make hot coco and pumpkin pancakes for breakfast and we listened to Christmas music while we ate.
Alex got dressed and put on shoes before running outside. Heidi found some socks and gloves and ran out in the Cinderella dress she had worn the previous day, and also slept in.  The first thing Heidi did was grab a handful of snow and throw it at Alex.
This probably didn't help our image as "that crazy homeschool family" next door.
EVERY time we use the red cups (weekly) Alex makes sure I know that these are HER tea cups from Aunt Kate, and that she is letting us use them out of the kindness of her heart.
Last week was also day 70 of school.  It also marked the day I think we may have finally figured out a homeschool routine that works for us.  
That routine is basically this:
    Don't try to get anything important or organized done while Quinn is awake.  When Quinn naps, distract Heidi with coloring and try to get Math and Phonics done. Spend Quinn's awake hours doing sister school (Alex teaching Heidi or vice versa) and topics that can be taught while holding or feeding or chasing a baby.

Quinn can almost crawl.  She rolls and scoots and can get her legs crawling around- her arms don't quite corporate yet, but she can get around!  She has those baby eagle eyes and LOVES to shove tiny dangerous things in her mouth.  All of the tiny toys have been confiscated.  In fact about 90% of the toys have been confiscated and relocated to bags in the dungeon.  The kids have yet to notice- It's sort of wonderful and unbelievable all at once.  The toy room is never a mess and the kids are content.

Saturday I tried a freezer meal soup day with a friend and we pumped out 6 large batches of soup a piece!  My freezer is full and it's nice having those healthy meals in a snap. One batch lasted us 3 days!

And lastly, Ben- I love all the comments you leave.  Thank you for always posting some hilarious comment that makes me homesick for you guys and glad for the internet and angry that you and Kate are so terrible at blogging.  Then I realize that Ben and Kate are beating EVERYONE ELSE under the table with their once every 4 month posts (ahhhmmm, Kara, Danielle/ Michael, Natalie and the rest of you who abandoned social media so I have NO IDEA what you guys are up to. )  So thank you Ben, they are the best part of blogging.

1 comment:

Benjamin Brady said...

So, I kinda hafta leave a comment when you blog about me leaving comments. And just a small correction, I believe we are only at three months, not four since our last blog post. But I will make a deal with you. The next time it snows at our house, we will take lots of photos and dedicate the whole post to you! Really, we just love hearing your stories.