Last Monday I organized an odd assortment of people to go on an Apple tour at a local orchard. Half were friends from the ward, and the other half were new friends from a Natural Mommies meetup group and a Homeschool Mom's meetup group. If you are looking for friends, try meetup.com. It's like online dating for Mom friends.
I needed 10 kids to make the reservation (usually for school groups) and I was scraping the bucket trying to find people with kids who would be interested. I'm so glad it worked out because the tour was amazing!We learned all about apples (things that I didn't even know), and got to see how apple cider is made. We got apples, coloring books, rings, apple cider and crayons at the end of it and I must say it was time and money well spent! It was cold though, and my crazy children boycotted my suggestion of pants on such a freezing day.
The rest of the week was crazy full, although I can't remember with what. I finished halloween costumes, and am over the moon that both the big girls chose to be something other than a princess!!!! They loved their costumes and I loved how easy they were to make.
Quinn's cabbage patch wig did not turn out. Unfortunately our backup was her Cinderella outfit. Therefore I ended up being the one who perpetuated the Halloween princess cycle, with the only child who didn't have a say in the matter.
So at the ward Trunk or Treat we had a bat, a princess, a mouse and Tyler and I were Hansel and Gretel. Hansel didn't want to dress up. Friday we went to a combined ward chili dinner and halloween party. The other ward had a lot of kids and younger families, it was packed and noisy. The girls loved the trick or treating, and loved the free rein I let them have over their buckets. I'm surprised it took so long, but after 4 days I think they are officially out of candy. Unfortunately tomorrow is Halloween and I'm starting to wonder if they will be content sitting on the porch passing out treats, now that their own stash is gone. This is the first year I've really loved the Trunk or Treat- we know 3 neighbors and I don't really trust anyone else in the neighborhood enough to let my kids take their free candy.
Quinn caught the croup. She is the first of my 3 to do so, I guess I can't complain. But the screamy teething croup monster is wearing out her welcome. Lucky for her Tyler just finished the second block of tests and so we get to breath and recoup for a few days.
Everyone in the ward thinks that my Mom must live really close because she has been to visit TWICE this month!
I guess I never posted about her wedding because Tyler and I had just arrived in Pittsburgh and missed out on the event. In July she married a very nice man named Dana, sold the farm, changed her name and moved to the city! They are now on a honeymoon of sorts driving all over the country. Lucky for us Pittsburgh was in the middle of their church history tour and so we got to spend Sunday with them. The girls were so sad to see them go, and all cried for a good 10 minutes after goodbyes.

Monday Alex and I attended a Girl Scout meeting while my angel visiting teacher watched Quinn and Heidi. Alex is very excited to join Girl Scouts and I'm very excited it's working out. She is one of 2 white girls in a troop of 7, and we have already had a few awkward moments with unfiltered Alex mouth. I really have no idea how to deal with it, or even what terms to teach her. I'm afraid our sheltered, non-diverse upbringing is going to come across as racist and rude.
Tuesday I finally went to Ikea and finally picked up my birthday (March) present from Tyler and the girls. A nice big down comforter!!!! The windows don't hold back much of the cold air and I've woken up an icecube the last week straight with 3 blankets on!!! Last night I almost slept like I was alone in a hotel- minus the croupy baby laying in Tyler's spot next to me. It was gloriously warm and wonderful.

1 comment:
Here is a short story. Once upon a time, a boy named Ben and a Girl named Kate were driving past Palmyra. The girl wanted to stop but the boy said, "no time." The family didn't stop. Then, later, it was halloween and the girl wanted the boy to trick-or-treat with the family but the boy, very caveman-like said, "I at school." The End.
Kate wanted me to tell you this story. She thinks your Hansel is better than hers.
Post a Comment