I found some more pictures to document the move.
We loved our experience with ABF. They were super friendly and professional and fulfilled their end of the agreement to the T! We were super excited when the truck showed up- it had been such a hassle getting the permits and driving all over to get the documents so the truck could park there for a few hours.
It was an overcast day and not too warm, but Tyler was still sweating buckets unpacking alone while Quinn lazed on the porch. A neighbor's father who was visiting from out of town came over to help, and then just as they were finishing- all the ward help arrived! Poor Tyler still did the brunt of it all himself though- one tough cookie.
Our street is a one way, which is actually nice for traffic. We have to park on the street but it's never been a problem finding a spot.
I am blown away by the number of homes crammed and stacked together. In Utah- the same space that occupied 4 homes, houses at least 15 here. Everything is long and tall and skinny.
There are a lot of odd customs too. If people are really paranoid about their parking spot, they will put a chair in the road to save it. Had I not read it in a book, I would have been pretty confused at this site. Instead I laughed and smiled and took a pictures.
Here we are! Our front yard is mostly taken up by a giant hedge wall. It does provide a slight secret garden effect to the 3 square feet not taken up by the bush, but we don't play in the front yard anyway.
This is no where near our house. This is a picture from the Hulls in Missouri. So pretty! Greir took us on rides town the county roads in this 4wheeler type thing. The girls loved it and loved him for it.
Before we left, the Hulls took us paddle boating at this beautiful lake and park. Tyler almost capsized Alyson and both the girls, and we all took turns switching boats in the middle of the lake- it was a lot of fun.
I can't say enough nice things about this family. Every single one of them were so kind and polite and serving the entire time. I don't think I heard a single person say anything negative or mean the whole time we were there. A bit of heaven on earth.
Grier was so willing to carry the girls around and play with them at the playground.
And Heidi and Aunt Lisa both seemed to get a kick out of each other.
The outing ended with some great icecream from Springdippers in Arkansas. It was so fun.
Here is a shot of Tyler's brother's home in Germantown, just outside of Memphis. It was as beautiful on the inside as it was on the outside.
The whole drive I kept commenting on the amount of trees. (Missouri)
I think Tyler got tired of it after awhile. (Tennessee)
When we hit Pennsylvania it was the bridges too. (Pennsylvania) You just don't see trees like that in the states I'm from.
Here we are standing in the livingroom looking out the front door. On the right by the front door there is a sitting room we will make the toy room. Then you can see the stairs, and the giant grate that keeps eating the kids toys. I suppose It's a good way for Heidi to learn not to roll marbles down the stairs. Every day that someone doesn't fall down the stairs is a victory, they are the tallest narrowest stairs I've ever seen (well, second only to Aunt Sandy's).
If you turn 180 degrees from where i was, you will see the living room. This is where the fireplace is and off to my right, along that wall is the entrance to the dungeon. That deserves a post of it's own.
Here we have the kitchen. It's such an upgrade from our house on Center street in Provo that I can't complain at all. While sitting at our kitchen table (which we are quickly outgrowing), One person can open the fridge and grab the milk while another gets the cereal from the cupboards and a third loads the dishwasher. But there is still room to move around so I'm happy.
Today we went to church. Our ward is made up of around 75 people. 3/4 of them are medical student families and the last 1/4 is split between single, middle age, inner city converts with about 3 established families with older kids. The Primary has maybe 15 kids in it and I think nursery is where everyone really hangs out. When I dropped off Heidi I counted 7 men and 1 women- there were only about 5 kids. Alex's primary teachers as she describes them "There were two grown up people. A boy grown up with light skin and a girl grown up with with dark skin who said I could call her Daniella." Daniella has a strong African accent and Alex is entranced by all the diversity that surrounds her here.
We made some friends at church, everyone is very kind and helpful. It did take us a good 5 minutes to find the chapel though- it's a two story building and the primary and chapel are upstairs, while the adult classes are downstairs. All the families sat on the edges of the chapel, leaving the entire middle to the single people. The place looked empty!
We spent the rest of the day huddled in the rooms with window units, dropping toys and shoes down grates. We had frenchfries with gravey and cheese for lunch and PB&J with boiled eggs for dinner. We are sort of missing family dinners in Utah and Susan's good cooking. Tomorrow we have to get PA drivers licenses, go to an appointment for Alex's online charter school, go to the bank to get a check to buy our car, and return the rental. Then there is the zoo that the kids keep begging to go to, (we went on saturday just after it closed!), and oh grocery shopping, ordering internet, getting car insurance, health insurance and everything school related for Tyler. And unpacking. I'm glad we came early- there is a lot to do in the next 2 weeks!




2 comments:
Wow, it sounds like you have had an entertaining adventure so far!! We sure miss seeing all of your lovely faces here though!
p.s. your comment about my parents steep stairs made me laugh out loud! I have taken more than my fair share of unintentional rides down them!
Man looks like you guys have had quite the adventure so far. We miss you too much already! I hope you're settling in well!
Post a Comment