Monday, April 23, 2012

The Extremely Terrible Two's

Tonight Alex's prayer consisted of this. "Dear Heavenly Father.  Thank Thee for Mommy and Daddy, and everyone in the whole wide world. Even Heidi."

    That's about how we are feeling right now.  Heidi is my best friend and my worst enemy all wrapped into a stick of dynamite.  She does everything BIG, happy or sad, and unfortunately as of 2 weeks ago we have officially hit the TERRIBLE TWO's!
   I remember this stage with Alex, and then with Archie, and then life calmed down for a bit.  I'm not really for this battle again!  I feel like this go around it should be easier because Heidi can express her wants so clearly, and then I remember that it's just like that premenstrual insanity, no matter how clearly you can express yourself, sometimes you just go nuts.
    Today we had 3 tantrums at the store ( it was one of those rare fun trips where we were actually buying fun things).  Then another 5 at the swimming pool and a half dozen or so while attempting a nap.  I've heard of mothers who tie their toddlers in bed with nylons.  Surprisingly I'm contemplating this.  When nap time failed we headed into the danger zone, the hours of 4-7pm where any noncompliance with cranky toddlers demands leads to blood.
       This was also the Monday FHE with the ENTIRE Brady family and I was in charge of the lesson, sans Tyler.  There was a reprieve of all 3 toddlers throwing tantrums (we like to keep it interesting) when we went to the sand box to reenact the "Wise man and the Foolish man".  The kids got to pour water and make mud pies (thank heavens summer is nearly here, and the magic of being outdoors!)
       I would like to thank Annie, the 10 month old cousin who gets picked on by Heidi because she is the only one that toys can be stolen from without retaliation.  I promise I'll do better at disciplining Heidi for her thievery, if you will understand that at times like tonight, if no one is crying, the moral of the thing gets swept under the rug.
     And to Heidi, if you will stop hitting everyone and biting me and pulling Alex's hair, we will get along much better.  I am grateful you wake up so cheerful in the mornings, but your short fuse has me on my toes and at my wits end.  To think you used to be the easy child, I'm glad that at least the 4th year is shaping up to be as wonderful as everyone said!

1 comment:

TJ and Stephanie said...

Hhaha I understand this post perfectly!! Scout sure know how to throw her herself a good tantrum. I was telling TJ that I remember the newborn phase of no sleep, baby eating all the time... But to be honest I had forgotten this stage and I don't love it!! Scout also used to be my easy one.... I have taken that back! :)